Hello from Wisconsin!

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. No technical questions here, please.
Forum rules
This forum is to be Family Friendly.

This is for "Introductions". Tell us about YOUR P'up, and a little about yourself (if you like). This is also the place for updates, tall tales, etc. about YOUR P'up. Include photos of your truck, if available (See this for an example).

This is not the appropriate place for technical questions. Please post those in the appropriate Troubleshooting or Upgrades section.
TinyRVLiving
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1994 Isuzu Fargo Camper

Hello from Wisconsin!

Postby TinyRVLiving » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:55 pm

Hello everyone!

If my import process goes well, I am a soon-to-be owner of a 1995 Isuzu Fargo camper conversion!

So, I am starting to immerse myself into the world of Isuzu diesels.

However, I'm not 100% certain that my engine is a true Isuzu diesel 4FG1. It's definitely a 2.4L non-turbo diesel. But the info I have so far is limited. I've heard some mention that it might truly be a Mitsubishi engine partially because the Isuzu Fargo was aligned with the Nissan Caravan back in the day.

So, if anyone knows for sure...I welcome the input. I am also on a quest to determine what other diesel engine tends to share the most parts with mine, but which is also a more common engine in the USA. Then I can possibly source spare parts more easily. I hear the Fargo engine never actually made it to the US...?

And also, my hope on this forum is to find a place to buy/obtain a manual for said engine, and also get some general idea of the immediate maintenance I should consider when I receive it in a few months (it's gotta come all the way to Wisconsin from Japan!). And also any things that are "special" to this engine, which deserve extra attention.

I used to own a 2003 Sprinter. That thing was a handful. But it taught me that diesels are pretty cool.

I'm not an engine teardown guru. I can replace basic stuff, but I don't own specialty tools so that's my one big issue. I hope to learn about what special tools I really ought to have for working on this little diesel nugget.

If there is a specific thread that contains a bulk of the info on this engine (assuming it's a true Isuzu diesel) then I'd love to get pointed in the right direction.

Here are the few photos I have so far!

exterior_1.jpg
exterior_1.jpg (16.68 KiB) Viewed 175 times

exterior_2.jpg
exterior_2.jpg (18 KiB) Viewed 175 times

cab_1.jpg
cab_1.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 175 times

interior_1.png

interior_4.png

interior_5.png

interior_8.png

interior_9.png

interior_10.png
Last edited by TinyRVLiving on Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Hello from Wisconsin!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Welcome to the site. I've seen some 4FG1-T engines listed on eBay. From what I've heard, they're a great engine. The OHC allows a higher operating RPM and makes the engine more versatile than the C223.

Those are links. Can we get you to post the actual pic here?

Thanks.
Jack

TinyRVLiving

Postby TinyRVLiving » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Ah, sorry...I was confused by the image size restrictions when linking to an image host, so I opted to attach and insert inline now. All good?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:35 pm

TinyRVLiving wrote:Ah, sorry...I was confused by the image size restrictions when linking to an image host, so I opted to attach and insert inline now. All good?

Exactly what we needed, thanks. That's going to be a SWEET travel rig, if you can keep it in your lane. I'd be all over the road if I had to drive a RWD vehicle. :lol:

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 pm

Welcome to the site!

TinyRVLiving

Postby TinyRVLiving » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:18 pm

Oh, I wanted to add (just because I think it's great) that the camper is 4WD and also has a 5-speed manual (if the latter wasn't obvious from the photo). So...maybe I can find some fun dirt roads to get into trouble on in the Upper Peninsula! :)

Clam
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1988 Isuzu Pickup 2.6L

Postby Clam » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:27 am

Awesome camper. I wish Isuzu would go back to making what isuzu made in 1980s and 1990s.