1984 2.2L 4WD Diesel turns over but won't start

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
ceorud
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1984 Isuzu P'up diesel 4x4

1984 2.2L 4WD Diesel turns over but won't start

Postby ceorud » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:30 am

Hey all,

Will be doing some searching today but wanted to make a post also since this p'up is my commuter and need to fix it ASAP. This truck has ran reliably for me for the past 3.5yrs when I got it from my grandpa with 100K mi on it. I've put another 70K on it and have only had to replace the alternator so far.

On cold winter mornings its not uncommon for it to take 5-10+ tries for it to start, and exhaust comes out when it does, and it eventually fires up and purs. Yesterday was one of the first colder mornings we had, and the first time this year it took about 5-7 tries to start. Drove it 75mi to work just fine, drove home 75mi just fine, went to move it an hour after I got home (still warm), but when it turns over it shakes differently (more) than it normally does and never fires. No exhaust comes out of the tail pipe when attempting to start like it normally does.

I did change oil 2K mi ago and simply filled it with a 5qt container of 5w-30, forgetting it actually has 6qt capacity. I say this because I checked the oil after it wouldnt start last night and it was barely on the stick. It doesn't typically burn much oil, but I hastely added a couple quarts last night and it appeared to overfill by a bit, so I am planning to empty and change to correct capacity cold before troubleshooting further. I know running it a quart low for 2k mi is definitely not ideal. I don't think it would cause the issue I'm having, but wanted to mention. There are no visible leaks or drips that I can see.

Any ideas what this could be? Ask me anything, I'll do my best to answer.

Thanks in advance,
Carson

I'm luving it

Re: 1984 2.2L 4WD Diesel turns over but won't start

Postby I'm luving it » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:54 pm

-The 5 quarts is not a big deal. Lots of guys just run 5.5 quarts.
-Also you should check your glow plugs if it is taking that long to start.

Simple things first.
-Seems to be a fuel issues since it was running just an hour earlier and it had been running reliably for 70k miles. Also since you normally notice the fuel coming out the exhaust when was the last fuel filter change?

I regrettably ask.....
-when was the last time the timing belt was replacement?
-1981, 4x4, 5 speed, GT1548 Turbo diesel, long bed, Toyota axles, 33x10.50x15, 5.29 gears,

ceorud

Postby ceorud » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Fuel filter was my grandpa's first thought too when I described the problem to him.

The timing belt is the fear in the back of my head. He thinks he had changed it at 100K and probably did knowing my grandpa, but i'm not certain so I've been running that risk. it was sitting in his garage for a few years at 104K before before I adopted it and is now 172K, so it was either 100K or never yet :oops:

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:22 pm

That was gonna be my question, too -- but I wanted to ask more because of the possible miles on the belt, not specifically because of the symptoms. I'm not really sure what they do (or sound like) when they break, but it seems to me you'd hear or feel SOMETHING.

I'm with Brent, I think it sounds like a fuel delivery issue.

Jack

I'm luving it

Postby I'm luving it » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:44 pm

I would not keep trying to start it until you figure out the issue.

Try fuel filter first. Check plunger on top make sure is not leaking. Filters are cheap and NAPA usually has them in stock.

If you can’t find any other obvious fuel related issues. I would check the belt. It’s not too hard.

Remove fan, fan shroud, belts, and remove top half of timing belt cover. Go easy on the bolts removing them they have a tendency to break. If belt did break it would mimic lack of fuel since the belt would not be turning the pump to produce fuel pressure. If belt is broken there is a high chance you have a bent push rod. Did you notice any clanking or other weird noises? The top belt cover is marked with yellow dot in this picture.
4CA66E17-F81A-4384-A21E-09CDA61FD5A9.jpeg

Other options which is controversial is disable glow plugs and give it a really quick shot of starting fluid. To see if it starts that way. Then you can confirm it’s a fuel issue.
-1981, 4x4, 5 speed, GT1548 Turbo diesel, long bed, Toyota axles, 33x10.50x15, 5.29 gears,

dorf

Postby dorf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:41 am

Probably the issue is AIR in the system

Bad fuel lines, clamps, leaking fuel filter assembly

Or all of the above

You should be able to pump up. The filter.....on some there is # 10 wrench size bleed port...to bleed off air

That should get it started...but repair system as necessary......

ceorud

Postby ceorud » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the input. It definitely feels different when I had tried to start it. Shaking a good amount more than it normally does, but there is not knock or metal on metal clanking that I can hear. Going to replace the fuel filter this weekend, it is ancient:

20191001_184932.jpg

I need to look into what I may need to do regarding bleeding air out of the system as Dorf mentioned. I have never done this, nor have I ever done anything with fuel/water separator. My dad mentioned there is a valve you can drain separated water out, but its usually just a little bit? I have never done this in the 3.5yrs I've had the truck.

dorf

Postby dorf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:40 pm

That's a strange looking fuel water separator. Does not seem to be OEM..original

ceorud

Postby ceorud » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Yeah, my grandpa mentioned it is 'bigger than the normal one'. I'm not sure if it is some aftermarket thing, or if I can just buy an off the shelf fuel filter to put on? I would assume so - the one on it right now is Carquest Fuel Filter # 86118

If anyone has more information on this assembly or what I need to do to properly bleed it, it is greatly appreciated.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm

Personally, I think the tree to be barking up, is the glow system. It should be working properly and ruled out before moving to fuel related issues.

dorf

Postby dorf » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:08 pm

Yes....all of the above

Sometimes just cleaning glow, system.connetions..... on glow plugs will prove helpful

Just my 2 cents...

ceorud

Postby ceorud » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:46 pm

puttputt - I was thinking the fact it was already warm when I went to start it might have ruled out the glow plugs? If its already warm could it still be an issue with the glow plugs?

Dang filter wasn't in stock, will replace it early next week when it gets here..

dorf

Postby dorf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:55 pm

You mentioned a new filter on order....

Question how are you going to get fuel up to the filter. Is there any sort of pump...manual or electric. In your system

If starting warm.you could assume..glo system is inactive......due to temp

ceorud

Postby ceorud » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:26 pm

Not certain of manual pump in the system, that's a good question....

Here is video of it trying to start, not sure if anything can be deciphered or rules out with thjs... https://youtu.be/kt24d59kask

Thanks

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:10 pm

ceorud wrote:puttputt - I was thinking the fact it was already warm when I went to start it might have ruled out the glow plugs? If its already warm could it still be an issue with the glow plugs?

Dang filter wasn't in stock, will replace it early next week when it gets here..

If you stop, go into.the store for a few minutes and come back out or stopping to get fuel, it Should start without glowing. Sitting an hour or so...yeah it may not start without glow.