Raspy Scratching Noise Periodically on Acceleration

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
puttputtinpup

Re: Raspy Scratching Noise Periodically on Acceleration

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 pm

You're welcome. Glad you got the u-joints replaced. I just hope the diff even has oil in it! :shock: :mrgreen:

Isuzu Faster
Isuzu vehicle(s): '86 1.9L G200Z 4-Spd. 2WD

Postby Isuzu Faster » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:02 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:I just hope the diff even has oil in it! :shock: :mrgreen:

It took about a pint, but wasn't too low to begin with! :D Transmission didn't need any motor oil added.
~ Cheers, Steve.

1986 Isuzu P'up (Faster 2WD), 1.9L G200Z Gasoline, 4-spd, Beige Amino-Alkyd Enamel.

Image Image

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:50 pm

Isuzu Faster wrote:
puttputtinpup wrote:I just hope the diff even has oil in it! :shock: :mrgreen:

It took about a pint, but wasn't too low to begin with! :D Transmission didn't need any motor oil added.

A pint low is more than normal since capacity is slightly more than 3 pints. I think the change interval is 30,000 miles. With the rear that low I would change lube now, there should be only a silver slurry on the magnetic drain plug, no distinct metal pieces. If it's been an extended time/miles since the last change the drained lube may have silvery streaks throughout, may be very dark & smell awful, even burnt. Then with the rear full of new lube check the level often, watch for signs of a leak, make sure the vent is operable, listen for any noises that might be the rear.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

Isuzu Faster
Isuzu vehicle(s): '86 1.9L G200Z 4-Spd. 2WD

Postby Isuzu Faster » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 pm

oldestisuzuist wrote:A pint low is more than normal since capacity is slightly more than 3 pints. I think the change interval is 30,000 miles. With the rear that low I would change lube now, there should be only a silver slurry on the magnetic drain plug, no distinct metal pieces. If it's been an extended time/miles since the last change the drained lube may have silvery streaks throughout, may be very dark & smell awful, even burnt. Then with the rear full of new lube check the level often, watch for signs of a leak, make sure the vent is operable, listen for any noises that might be the rear.

This is good to know. As far as I know, I am unaware if the transmission and the rear differential lubricants have ever been drained or fully replaced since our family took ownership of the truck in the mid-'90s. It's been over 220,000 miles since then. A former automobile/motorcycle racer, my dad always told me that "unless you're racing, there's no need to change the lube. Just add some if they're low." I believed him. Then again, he has always been under the impression that there is no need to change motor oil if there's a steady leak and you're adding a quart every month (something I also believed until I worked at a major automotive manufacturer overseas).

The last time the transmission and diff levels were checked (perhaps even changed?) was likely in early 2013, when the engine went in for full overhaul at 297,000 miles (13,000 miles ago). A pint lost since then didn't seem a lot. Of course, how I was taught was that if I stick my finger in there and can touch lubricant, then it's fine. This was the case the other day, but I had the mechanic top it off while it was on the lift and easy to get to.
~ Cheers, Steve.

1986 Isuzu P'up (Faster 2WD), 1.9L G200Z Gasoline, 4-spd, Beige Amino-Alkyd Enamel.

Image Image