Transmission installation

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
RaW
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 izusu pickup 2.3 liter 5 speed

Transmission installation

Postby RaW » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:15 pm

I recently took out my transmission cause my throw out bearing was bad. I got it all fixed and put back in. :P . I went to step on clutch pedal and it went to the floor. I tightened up the screw on the cable that the clutch operates at the firewall drivers side (near brake reservoir) and it seem to get better. I drove about 20 feet forward and 20 feet back. Success. I just don't know how to adjust it so it don't ruin my brand new clutch. I might have it too much or not enough adjustment on it. I don't know if u do it at the firewall where I was at with the nut on the cable or do u do it under the dash near the pedal? I have a 91 Isuzu pickup 2.3 liter 5 speed. Thanks!

oldestisuzuist

Re: Transmission installation

Postby oldestisuzuist » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Adjust it at the firewall. FSM says to leave a certain gap, shade tree way is to adjust until you have about 1" of free play when pressing the pedal with your fingers before you feel resistance. As the clutch wears the free play will get less, check again after the new clutch has a chance to bed in.
Completely depress & release the pedal several times after each adjustment to seat the adjuster before checking free play, tighten the lock nut when correct.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:25 am

What Oldestisuzuist said. The way I'd do mine (probably not text book) was to adjust the cable so that the throwout bearing was close to the pressure plate but not touching it. Whenever the bearing touches the pressure plate, it rotates the bearing (engine running). Driving around with your foot resting on the clutch pedal with wear it out.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 pm

You can also tug (forward) on the cable coming out of the firewall, and use a 7/32" drill bit (the book says 5mm) to set that clearance between the locknut and washer at the firewall. Or do the math and use whatever you've got that's near 5mm.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD