Adding some gauges

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Adding some gauges

Postby Halden » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:39 pm

I'm done with the first phase of adding some gauges. My dad said I'm turning this one into a "wonder of science"

So far I have wired in an ammeter, volt meter, tach.
In the end over the course of time I will be adding oil temp, oil pressure, water temp (an actual reading as opposed to an arbitrary point on a gauge), air filter restriction, possibly fuel filter restriction

The ammeter is the shunt type placed in series directly from the alternator to the rest of the truck. I figure they use them in aerospace so they are good enough here. Very little resistance. Only a 75mv drop at 100 amps. Tops I'd use half that if the battery was a little flat and had everything going.

I've been actually making a real harness for everything as opposed to just laying wire and zip ties. I'm not happy with the junction coming off the shunt and alternator. And will clean that up soon

I needed to add a fuse box for the ammeter and volt meter. It is wise to fuse both sides of this ammeter, it is a shunt ammeter so if one side shorts there is a possibility the other side can still short out should something come loose on that end immediately after. I plan on adding a couple things that will use relays which that box has spots for.
Attachments
received_435564320385922.jpeg
20190826_150406.jpg
Everything on full blast. I compared it with my DMM and it is accurate.
20190901_130602.jpg
20190901_113001.jpg
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel 4x4
82 LUV Short Bed Diesel 5 Speed 2wd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

Paul

Re: Adding some gauges

Postby Paul » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Halden - -

Nice going on the gauges. Is this the truck with your new rebuilt engine? Looks like a different color.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

Halden

Postby Halden » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks, Paul. This truck I recently obtained. It's a great runner. Though ugly on the outside mechanically it's clean and has a good frame. My LS 4x4 is the one with the rebuilt motor. Need to finally get everything installed.

arrowmntdiesel

Postby arrowmntdiesel » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:32 pm

Nice job Halden.!

Way to put your schooling to work for you and glad to see you are taking your time and doing a nice clean install. You purchase a very good little truck that Brent took a lot of pride in.

Mark
AAS degree Diesel Technology 2014, 10 yrs Isuzu Pup diesels. Owner: Arrow-Mountain Diesel services & Arrow-Mnt Windows, Medford, OR. Love God! One Marriage-One Wife, 2 awesome young ladies as my kids. Happily Married for 25+ years. One Blessed Man!

Halden

Postby Halden » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks Mark. School for sure has gotten me interested in not only doing things really the right way, but also just the numbers and data I will see. It will certainly be interesting! I'll be working more on it this weekend. So expect a few updates. I'll be making the panel out of a small sheet of fairly stiff steel and fabricating some brackets to mount in properly. I may even use bushings to isolate these gauges from vibrations. I will need to get a good hole saw set to accommodate everything