Quiet, and stable, new tires, Oh My!

Whether it's up high or draggin', this is the place to discuss anything related to body and suspension modifications for street or offroad use.
Rjonesy
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Turbo Diesel Space Cab LS

Quiet, and stable, new tires, Oh My!

Postby Rjonesy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:22 pm

When I got my P'Up a couple years back I went down to the local Discount Tire store to replace the old crazed tires on the truck. They only had one tire model (14 inchers aren't readily stocked these days!) Never liked them, didn't feel stable and were noisy. Yet, didn't really know how much of the noise and feeling of insecurity was due to the tires and how much was just the nature of the truck. I've spent a lot of effort doing noise abatement and still had a good bit of road noise. Well, just replaced them with Hankook Optimos from Discount. This time I did some research and ordered them. Not top end but they had good reviews. I can't believe the difference!! The truck feels weightier and much more stable. The road nose is nearly gone. I don't think I've ever had such an improvement in a vehicle due to a tire change. Turnin' the radio down a few notches and able to have a civilized converstion with wifey!

Paul

Re: Quiet, and stable, new tires, Oh My!

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Rjonesy wrote:When I got my P'Up a couple years back I went down to the local Discount Tire store to replace the old crazed tires on the truck. They only had one tire model (14 inchers aren't readily stocked these days!) Never liked them, didn't feel stable and were noisy. Yet, didn't really know how much of the noise and feeling of insecurity was due to the tires and how much was just the nature of the truck. I've spent a lot of effort doing noise abatement and still had a good bit of road noise. Well, just replaced them with Hankook Optimos from Discount. This time I did some research and ordered them. Not top end but they had good reviews. I can't believe the difference!! The truck feels weightier and much more stable. The road nose is nearly gone. I don't think I've ever had such an improvement in a vehicle due to a tire change. Turnin' the radio down a few notches and able to have a civilized converstion with wifey!

Jonesy - -

Yes, I have discovered the same thing. Hankook Optimas are quiet and have an improved ride. And they are very reasonable from discount tire, free shipping too.

I formerly ran Michelins and liked them a lot but they quit making 14 inchers.

The Michelins had a firmer feel through the corners but only a little. I think this is because the Hankooks have a much softer sidewall. The softer sidewall also makes them much easier to mount if you are doing it yourself. White walls too, in case you like that.

The Hankooks have a 70k mile tread wear rating, pretty long. We will see on that.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.