Surely someone can tell me..

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
89rebelpup
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1989 Standard cab swb 2.3l (carb)

Surely someone can tell me..

Postby 89rebelpup » Tue May 07, 2019 10:09 am

For the sake of learnining proper nomenclature what is the pipe/tube that runs from driver side at or around the exhaust manifold..around the back of the 2.3 engine.. to the passenger side into or around the intake manifold? It's about 3/4 or maybe an inch in size. I am guessing it is emissions related?..or no? But what is the proper name?
Assuming it can be deleted the next questions will obviously be if others have deleted it how did they go about it, what did you use to fill or cover or plug resulting openings AND, if available, where can I buy blank-off plates or plugs or caps etc..?

Respect,
R

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Surely someone can tell me..

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 am

Sounds like you're referring to the EGR pipe. I had the same thing on my 2.6L Amigo.

Opinions seem to vary on removal. I won't wade into that discussion, since I'm a novice when it comes to gasoline engines.

Jack

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Tue May 07, 2019 1:44 pm

The threads into the exhaust manifold and the fitting under the intake are M22x1.5, search for a plug or bolt of this size. I found some short plugs from China of this size that installed with a 12mm Allen wrench, but I can't remember the special name they were called.
If you never plan to re-install the EGR tube use the threaded fittings on each end: cut the tube, slide the fitting from the tube, thread the inside of the fitting for a bolt that fits to plug the hole, then screw the entire plugged fitting into the manifold (use a similar method to plug the air rail fittings on the head). The bung that the EGR threads into under the intake is held to the intake with two small bolts, you can remove the bung/fitting & fab a flat plate to blank the intake opening using the two small bolts, but the intake may need to be off the engine for access. You can access the threaded plug with the intake in place.
The EGR tube is held to the engine between the head & firewall with a small bolt that must be removed to remove the tube.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

Big Blue
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1988 2.3l Isuzu Pickup

Postby Big Blue » Tue May 07, 2019 4:26 pm

As others have stated, it is the EGR pipe. I just had to replace mine since the exhaust portion was fused to the exhaust manifold. I am rebuilding my engine to stock specs. I used every trick in the book to get mine out, but it wasn't going to come out. It eventually did, but was so badly mangled and unusable. The same thing with the air injection tubing. From my research, threading on both ends of the EGR pipe is m22x.1.25 parallel thread,as opposed to taper threading. The intake is easy to remove, but exhaust is going to be a pain and if you want to re-install, may want to come up with a different plan than removing since you are probably going to ruin the exhaust side.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Wed May 08, 2019 1:36 pm

My experience with trying to remove that fitting at the exhaust manifold (securing the EGR tube) was exactly as Big Blue stated. Since I was completely removing my EGR tube, I hacksawed off the tubing, leaving about an inch from the exhaust side 'bung' fitting, with visions of trying an EZ-out. I chickened out, not wanting to jeopardize my exhaust manifold, and instead, discovered that a 5/8" copper tubing cap-the kind a house is plumbed with- fits snugly over the remaining stub of EGR pipe. I further sealed it with a trace of JB Weld in the cap. The intake end came out with much less difficulty, however I sawed off and capped that end in the same manner. Does this make me a butcher? I've done worse things.....
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

89rebelpup
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1989 Standard cab swb 2.3l (carb)

Postby 89rebelpup » Fri May 10, 2019 8:16 am

Thank you for the knowledge guys. For a vehicle 25 yrs and older emission testing isn't required in my county in Georgia. So if/when I get around to removing this tube it will be permanent. But it sounds like another good reason to buy and remodel a used 2.3l intake manifold. It would be nice if someone produced or retrofitted a non-emissions compliant (performance?) intake for our isuzu 2.3.... but THAT'S a whole 'nother topic! :)

Reb