How Accurate is RockAuto?

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Isuzu Faster
Isuzu vehicle(s): '86 1.9L G200Z 4-Spd. 2WD

How Accurate is RockAuto?

Postby Isuzu Faster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Hello all,

When the weather clears up here soon, a brake job will be due for the '86 1.9L Gasser. Since RockAuto was my go-to place for the G200Z engine rebuild about 6 years ago, I figured I'd hit it up once more. However, I remembered some members mentioning compatibility issues with what's listed on RockAuto versus what the truck really needs, so I wanted to double check with you all before ordering.

The parts I plan to order are all listed under 1986 ISUZU PICKUP 1.9L L4; I've had good luck with Raybestos before, so I figured I'd keep the same brand for all the parts.

Front Pad Set:
RAYBESTOS PGD285

Front Rotors:
RAYBESTOS 96034R

Rear Shoe Set:
RAYBESTOS 619PG

Rear Wheel Cylinders:
RAYBESTOS WC37599

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
~ Cheers, Steve.

1986 Isuzu P'up (Faster 2WD), 1.9L G200Z Gasoline, 4-spd, Beige Amino-Alkyd Enamel.

Image Image

puttputtinpup

Re: How Accurate is RockAuto?

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:23 am

Have you ever ordered from Jerry Lemond (jlemond)? Personally, I'd rather get oem brakes and parts from him instead of rock auto. Plus, he's a long time valued member here and deserves all the support we can give him. Jlemond@bellsouth.net

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 am

puttputtinpup wrote:Have you ever ordered from Jerry Lemond (jlemond)? Personally, I'd rather get oem brakes and parts from him instead of rock auto. Plus, he's a long time valued member here and deserves all the support we can give him. Jlemond@bellsouth.net

I don't know that you can get brake parts from Jerry. I tried once several years ago and I believe he said he couldn't get stuff anymore...

Steve
I have not had good luck getting brake parts from them. I can give you the factory numbers if you need them to check for compatibility on those.
While you're in the back you may want to do those rear cylinders. They seem to have a tendency of leaking as they age. They're very inexpensive and add maybe 10 minutes to the job. I've even had one blow out on me coming off the freeway. It screwed up my booster and master cylinder when it happened.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
At work: 2000 Blue Bird TC2000 w/ 5.9

Isuzu Faster

Postby Isuzu Faster » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Thank you both for your replies. I have indeed purchased from Jerry Lemond in the past, and am indebted to his generosity and expertise. I know all of his supplies are limited, so I'd like other members with more "pristine" restorations to get those OEM parts! :D

Halden, parts numbers and any other data would be awesome. I don't have the factory "Isuzu KB" shop manual (I have a Haynes manual that groups the Trooper and P'up / Pickup) so it doesn't get into specifics like rotor diameter, etc. And I totally agree with you on the wheel cylinders; I've listed them in my original post as well. Just want to make sure everything fits so I don't have to return them. If RockAuto's compatibility is questionable, I might be better off going to a local O'Reilly's and ordering from them. That way, I can make quick returns.

You all probably wouldn't believe me if I said that the truck has actually likely only had pads and shoes replaced once since we got the truck 22 years ago (and after more than 200,000 miles of driving) :lol: It's time to do some preemptive maintenance.
~ Cheers, Steve.

1986 Isuzu P'up (Faster 2WD), 1.9L G200Z Gasoline, 4-spd, Beige Amino-Alkyd Enamel.

Image Image

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm

I got front pads for my 82 from Jerry. Maybe he's not stocking brakes anymore or not available to order.

Halden

Postby Halden » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

Isuzu Faster wrote:You all probably wouldn't believe me if I said that the truck has actually likely only had pads and shoes replaced once since we got the truck 22 years ago (and after more than 200,000 miles of driving) :lol: It's time to do some preemptive maintenance.

Pretty sure mine has the original brakes. 200k plus.

If your brakes are not worn don't touch them.

Replacing the cylinders... You could probably do and it might save you a headache down the road
83 LS Long Bed Diesel

Isuzu Faster

Postby Isuzu Faster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:02 am

Wow, no kidding!? :o I'm not experiencing any grinding or vibrations, but I've noticed that the pad gap is only a few millimeters thick at the most on both of the fronts (who knows what the shoes look like, but they're not being noisy yet). There is however an odd looking groove that looks perfectly machined out on the driver's side rotor that goes the whole diameter of the rotor about half way from the edge, so it's obviously wearing somehow. With all of the P'up owners on this forum, I figured the brake job parts topic would be a popular one. Now I'm afraid of getting on the brakes hard when I drive the truck! :shock:

I'll contact Jerry regarding this, but am still really curious what others have done over recent years. The truck is probably light enough that we've been able to come this far on original pads / rotors / the whole setup, but there has to be a way to recondition these parts with those currently on the market. Maybe I should also contact the local Chevy dealership parts section?

Edit: I found someone's blog from 2016 doing a brake job on a first gen Trooper, if these are the same parts? He lists the necessary replacement pads / rotors / the whole shabang.
~ Cheers, Steve.

Image Image

Halden

Postby Halden » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:43 am

Isuzu Faster wrote:Wow, no kidding!? :o I'm not experiencing any grinding or vibrations, but I've noticed that the pad gap is only a few millimeters thick at the most on both of the fronts

Sometimes it's worth saying as there are some strange people in the world :D . There are some heavy duty fleets out there under management that think certain things should be done at every maintenance interval (like wheel seals... which is a terrible idea). So I thought I'd throw that in put out there as to me it sounded like there wasn't any issues with the brakes
83 LS Long Bed Diesel

Isuzu Faster

Postby Isuzu Faster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:30 pm

Halden wrote:Sometimes it's worth saying as there are some strange people in the world :D . There are some heavy duty fleets out there under management that think certain things should be done at every maintenance interval (like wheel seals... which is a terrible idea). So I thought I'd throw that in put out there as to me it sounded like there wasn't any issues with the brakes

Halden, you're certainly right. Brakes should be good until something starts making a lot of noise and I can feel it in the pedal. Just wanted to make sure everything was okay since according to my dad the brakes haven't been touched since the mid-90s :lol:

Jerry got back to me this morning, and mentioned that he's got almost all of the brake-related rebuilt parts in stock. He told me the wheel bearings, front calipers, and rotors are available, but uncommon. That's good to know, however it's also surprising that these parts aren't common in the aftermarket section.
~ Cheers, Steve.

Image Image

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Personally, I agree that it's the best thing for you to do is change rotors, calipers, pads, shoes, cylinders, even drums, master cyl, and proportioning valve. If those brakes haven't been touched in that long, you have water and rust all in the system.

I know that the 81-83 models it's recommended to bleed the brakes with engine running as Chiltons states to avoid damage to the brake booster. If you don't, the pedal will never feel right. That was my experience w my 82. My master cylinder would always leak inside the booster.

The last time i put pads, shoes, rotors & drums on it, I invested in a $30 HF bleeder. See my tool review on it. Love it!! If you have a decent compressor, it'll be a life saver. Dab gobs of grease around the base of the bleeder screw when it's loose for bleeding. Otherwise air will leak in around the threads. That was Mark's arrowmntdiesel valuable tip for me.

Isuzu Faster

Postby Isuzu Faster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Thanks a lot for your advice. I'll let what's on the truck wear a little more, but will be in further contact with Jerry about parts.
~ Cheers, Steve.

Image Image

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I don't mean to promote Rock Auto, but I haven't had any issues with them. Granted, the last time I ordered brake parts from them was in 2014, and unless they've recently 'gone south' with compatibility, I'd say it was luck of the draw. I used practically the same part #'s you mentioned above, and my lining replacements were driven not by wear, but from a leaky rear axle oil seal (ruined shoes), and a seized caliper piston (warped rotor/ruined pads). Only difference was I opted for caliper and wheel cylinder repair kits (BeckArnley), since I had everything all apart on the floor anyway. As a matter of course, I replaced/rebuilt all four brake corners. The 96034R rotors were pre-machined, and maybe I got lucky, for everything fit together just fine. My Haynes book (#1641) has rotor runout/dimensions, I can quote them if you like.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

Isuzu Faster

Postby Isuzu Faster » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:19 am

Red Truck wrote:I don't mean to promote Rock Auto, but I haven't had any issues with them. Granted, the last time I ordered brake parts from them was in 2014, and unless they've recently 'gone south' with compatibility, I'd say it was luck of the draw. I used practically the same part #'s you mentioned above, and my lining replacements were driven not by wear, but from a leaky rear axle oil seal (ruined shoes), and a seized caliper piston (warped rotor/ruined pads). Only difference was I opted for caliper and wheel cylinder repair kits (BeckArnley), since I had everything all apart on the floor anyway. As a matter of course, I replaced/rebuilt all four brake corners. The 96034R rotors were pre-machined, and maybe I got lucky, for everything fit together just fine. My Haynes book (#1641) has rotor runout/dimensions, I can quote them if you like.

+1. Thank you for your advice; I knew there had to be someone who had used modern aftermarket brake parts. I also have Haynes #1641, but Page 228 in the 'Brakes' chapter only gives disc thickness, not the dimensions. If you could point me to the right section, that'd be great.
~ Cheers, Steve.

Image Image

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 pm

My approach may sound convoluted, but here's how I arrived at my part selection: Your rotor is shown as p/n 8941136281, from the factory part number link on this wonderful website, under 'Parts New and Used" (I think your rig is a KA model). I verified that p/n from the website scarffisuzu.com. The actual dimensions of the rotor are given under Summitracing.com, by typing in the product names/part numbers given under Rock Auto's selections for your brake rotor. The Bendix PRT1459 rotor matches the Isuzu factory number, for instance. The Summit website further shows the corresponding Centric and AC-Delco p/n's rotor dimensions. Oddly, the Raybestos rotor dimensions aren't given, but like I said, guess I got lucky!! Hope this isn't too confounding, but my takeaway is that all these particular rotor selections for your rig's part number look to be the same size.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

Isuzu Faster

Postby Isuzu Faster » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:33 am

Red Truck wrote:My approach may sound convoluted, but here's how I arrived at my part selection: Your rotor is shown as p/n 8941136281, from the factory part number link on this wonderful website, under 'Parts New and Used" (I think your rig is a KA model). I verified that p/n from the website scarffisuzu.com. The actual dimensions of the rotor are given under Summitracing.com, by typing in the product names/part numbers given under Rock Auto's selections for your brake rotor. The Bendix PRT1459 rotor matches the Isuzu factory number, for instance. The Summit website further shows the corresponding Centric and AC-Delco p/n's rotor dimensions. Oddly, the Raybestos rotor dimensions aren't given, but like I said, guess I got lucky!! Hope this isn't too confounding, but my takeaway is that all these particular rotor selections for your rig's part number look to be the same size.

Red Truck, extremely helpful post. Thanks a lot! In the 6 or so years that I've been here, I completely overlooked the links that were stickeyed to the tops of the forums :oops: Will use them religiously from now on!
~ Cheers, Steve.

Image Image