Carpet is getting wet

Whether it's up high or draggin', this is the place to discuss anything related to body and suspension modifications for street or offroad use.
JT2020
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 isuzu pickup

Carpet is getting wet

Postby JT2020 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:29 pm

Is anyone else experienced behind the rear passenger side seat that the carpet is getting wet?

1992 Isuzu Pickup

Shaggyman1
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Isuzu pup 1.9l four cylinder

Re: Carpet is getting wet

Postby Shaggyman1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:16 pm

I have the same issue but mine is in the passenger floorboard iv been told that the grill above the hood has a drain if it gets clogged it will leak in the cab I'm not sure though will find out this weekend when I address the issue and I'm not sure if it relates to your issue but I hope someone can help you more than me maybe I can get an answer as well

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:41 pm

JT2020 wrote:Is anyone else experienced behind the rear passenger side seat that the carpet is getting wet?

1992 Isuzu Pickup

"rear passenger side seat"?

Are you telling us your truck is a SpaceCab?

Jack

JT2020

Postby JT2020 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:22 am

I should of been for specific it’s a single cab with the bench seat and it’s only in one little area. I wanna put new carpet in but really don’t want to until I figure out where this water is coming in any help is apprective.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:32 am

I can think of a few possibilities.
  • Bad weather stripping around the door.
  • Leaking rear windshield seal
  • Rusted-out floor pan
  • Leaking heather core
  • Stopped-up A/C condensate drain
Jack

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 am

I was talking with a member here about this issue once some years ago. He found that water can come in from the antenna wire if you don't have the wire pulled down before it reaches the grommet in the firewall... Pretty easy thing to check.

If you can get someone to help you blow some compressed air around where you think it is leaking and have someone inside the cab with the door shut they should be able to hear it. I've done this on buses and it works pretty well...
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
At work: 2000 Blue Bird TC2000 w/ 5.9

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:46 pm

My approach to finding leaks is to shine a bright light around the suspected area, at night or on a dark day. The pinhole rot-spots show up pretty well. In your case, I'd shine from under the floor pan, with the carpets removed. I'd approach the rear window weatherseals with a friend and a garden hose, and sit inside looking for the leak. At least you're eliminating possibilities.
Years ago, I had an exterior rot problem on both sides of the cab, just above where the seat belt shoulder strap attaches inside. Once I got back stateside, I tore into the cancer and determined it was from the weld seam where the roof and back end of the doorpost metal meet. I prepped and bondo'ed up both sides, made it all pretty, and it's been fine ever since.
For Shaggyman's post, mine did the same thing. I removed the wiper motor, shoved a small droplight inside there, and looked up from under the passenger-side legwell, and there was the tiny pinhole, right behind that raised coaming-device for the cabin air intake. My fix was to pull the pine needles, beach sand, and mouse turds outta there, rough it up with sandpaper, prime it, and smear a blob of caulking compound into it (from the wipermotor access). It helped that I have skinny arms. Seems to have worked for me!
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm

Halden wrote:I was talking with a member here about this issue once some years ago. He found that water can come in from the antenna wire if you don't have the wire pulled down before it reaches the grommet in the firewall... Pretty easy thing to check.

Great tip, I'd forgotten that one. I think that's called a "drip loop".

And Red Truck -- Good info.

Jack

JT2020

Postby JT2020 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:10 pm

I appreciate all the feedback I’ve gotten hopefully this post will help others also. Today I had time to try to figure out what my issue was and found some other issues. I got the water hose out and made sure none of my weather strips was leaking and found one leak around the front windshield on top edge.Next was the cowl vent I flushed it out and It was clogged bad with pine needles and gunk. I still need to pull the carpet out and make sure there isn’t any cancer underneath. I highly doubt there will be sense the truck has always been in Georgia and still is. But thanks again hopefully I can get this situation taken care of!