Temperature Sensor

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
PRPUP
Isuzu vehicle(s): '84 Isuzu Pickup Diesel

Temperature Sensor

Postby PRPUP » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi Isuzu Pup Community,

I asking for help on how to change the temperature sensor. I notice it on the bottom of the block but does no look like it is a simple bolt out and bolt in the new one. Mine seem to be placed in a small housing that screws in to the engine block. Is this common or stock? the housing is round and doesn't look like its has a place to put a crescent wrench to unscrew. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Temperature Sensor

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:21 pm

There's no temperature sensor in the bottom of the block, that I can recall. In the front of the engine (either on the thermostat housing or just below it), there is one sensor. On the thermostat cover, there are two thermo-switches.

What kind of trouble are you having?

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:39 pm

I can't think of anything he may be describing other than perhaps the oil pressure sender? It's low in the block right side. One wire to it.

PRPUP

Postby PRPUP » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi Jack,

I guess i'm asking the wrong question sorry. The temp gauge isn't working or reading anything. I ordered temperature sensor unit with round pin on top and i found that it may bolt on the side of the engine near the bottom of the block. The other member is saying that its the oil pressure sender? it does have one wire too

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Facing the engine, there are 2 sensors on the thermostat cover. Neither is the temperature sensor. Look carefully down the side of the lower housing the thermostat sit in. It's kind of hidden hose connections, ac bracket, etc but it's there. If the single wire is disconnected from it, that may be your problem. To see if the dash gauge works, ground out that wire and turn key on. The needle should peg out.

PRPUP

Postby PRPUP » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Great! I'll check that! Thank You!