Fresh Engine Rebuild - No Power

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
puttputtinpup

Re: Fresh Engine Rebuild - No Power

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:14 pm

I used the keyway for fhe crank as tdc or the dowel pin for the pulley at tdc. You may or may not know this, but the injection pump sproket has a hole in it that will correspond with a threaded hole in the housing behind the sproket. Take the longest bolt that is used in the timing cover and thread it thru the sproket into the hole behind it. That holds the injection pump sproket still so it wont move while you get the belt wrapped around everything and the timing arrows lined up. JUST DON'T FORGET TO TAKE THE BOLT OUT BEFORE ROTATING THE CRANK TO SEAT THE BELT.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:24 pm

You need to be really careful not to break your rocker arms or bend pushrods. If the camshaft doesn't stay in sync with the crankshaft, pistons will hit the valves.

To get it all in sync, carefully align the arrows on the camshaft and injection pump cogs with the crank at TDC. If you feel resistance, stop immediately.

Jack

GoodiePop
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 P'up DLX Long Bed 2WD w/PS and AC. 351,449 miles.

Postby GoodiePop » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Thank you for the replies. I felt the crankshaft stop, as though it had hit a locked position, so I stopped there and turned the cam to catch up. Everything is free again, I just wanted to make sure I knew what the next step would be to get all lined back up. I won’t try to start it until I have rotated the engine by hand at least 3 times after I get the belt back on there.

GoodiePop

Postby GoodiePop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:55 am

Finally some good news!

After aligning everything back up, rotating the engine by hand to ensure that valves and pistons didn't find each other, running all of the valves, there is success. I drove the truck down the freeway at 70 mph on a slight incline, (85 coming back), and it performed so much better. I still believe there is an issue with IP timing, but I'm going to drive it now for a while to see if just driving it will get the injectors cleaned up and enjoy it.

Where I live, we can reach everything in town within 5 minutes, sometimes 3, so there will be many days when I won't be able to drive it to get the thermostat opened. Our doctor is 225 miles from here, so I'm anxious to get to drive it down there and back on the same tank of fuel.

I run 2-cycle engine oil and Lucas fuel additive all of the time, so I think I'm going to be ok in getting the injectors cleaned up. 7 years was a long time to sit. If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'm all eyes.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to solving my problem. A special thanks to Mark for taking time to explain things to me on the phone. If I had to have opened up this engine one more time, I believe I could have qualified for a PhD in the C223.

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 am

GoodiePop wrote:I run 2-cycle engine oil and Lucas fuel additive all of the time, so I think I'm going to be ok in getting the injectors cleaned up. 7 years was a long time to sit. If anyone has any additional suggestions, I'm all eyes.

I wouldn't be running 2 cycle oil in your fuel. It can actually cause injectors to stick briefly. I posted an engineering article here somewhere where several tests were done with various additives in fuel. You really don't need to run additives in fuel, unless you live where it's cold and need to keep it from clouding/gelling. Stanadyne is a great additive supposedly, but it's pricey...

Here is the article:
https://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-o ... -study.php
You don't want any metals in your fuel. 2 Stroke Oil contains generous amounts of Zinc which can cause inector fouling
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
At work: 2000 Blue Bird TC2000 w/ 5.9

GoodiePop

Postby GoodiePop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am

I add a quart of 2-cycle to every 90 gals of fuel that I put in the transfer tank that I have in the bed of my '76 F250. I put the fuel in there, add the extras to be able to mix it well while driving, then pump it out into my vehicles as needed.

I was never aware that it could cause the injectors to stick. I was told before that because of all of the lubricants that used to be in fuel, now having been removed, there is no lubricity left to lubricate the pumps. Everything I own is all mechanical; 1994 Cummins in my motorhome, 1994 6.5L GM in my Ford, and now my Pup. I was also under the impression that Lucas was the end-all-be-all in fuel and oil additives.

We get up to 130 degrees here in the summer, and down to 38 in the winter, but nothing like I experienced in Michigan when I was working up there.

I've never heard of Standyne before. I'll have to have a look-see at it the next time I'm at the parts house. What is it about Lucas that you know of that isn't all that great? Now I'm thinking I got bad information from my friend before locally here about it.

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:34 am

GoodiePop wrote:What is it about Lucas that you know of that isn't all that great? Now I'm thinking I got bad information from my friend before locally here about it.

Lucas won't hurt anything. But the two stroke oil I wouldn't run. I just personally don't like spending unecassary dollars. It won't hurt it, but I don't know that it actually gives any real benefits other than anecdotal evidence. When I have left over ATF or clean oil, so long as it does not contain zinc, I just dump it in my tank. DOesn't hurt it, but I doubt I get any real benefits from it, other than bottles of stuff stacking up.

Realistically I don't think you'll do any damage running two stroke in there. But I woudn't make a habit of it, especially on a freshly rebuilt engine. I have it on good authority that you don't need to worry about the low sulphur content of fuel. Pump failures have not gone up related to running good clean fuel.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard
At work: 2000 Blue Bird TC2000 w/ 5.9

GoodiePop

Postby GoodiePop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:49 am

Halden wrote:Pump failures have not gone up related to running good clean fuel.

I never thought of it like that.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:03 am

I used to occasionally dump some atf in my tank and at one point, I added a shot of gear oil in an effort to add a bit of sulfur to the fuel. Never hurt it and i think it ran better!

GoodiePop

Postby GoodiePop » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:05 am

I've been told that propane does wonders!.......LOL

GoodiePop

Postby GoodiePop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Ok all, last challenge I think.

Going up very slight incline, 5th gear, rolling out black smoke, loses speed almost immediately, what should I be looking for?

I can understand losing speed on a steep grade, but just a slight grade is murder on the performance.

I’m thinking IP adjustment again, if ever so slightly, because the valves are perfect, but it’s still lacking in power to sustain even the slightest grade.

Ideas?

Dongshoreman
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 diesel short bed

Postby Dongshoreman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm

I would also recommend looking at the inlet joint bolt and the overflow line bolts on the injection pump, which both have built in screens that can get clogged.

Screenshot 2019-01-17 14.07.31.png

I was browsing Mitchell's and there was a bulletin from Isuzu that said that these clogged screens led to a loss of power. Kind of a long shot, but looks like a pretty easy quick thing to check off the list.
1983 Diesel Shortbed

GoodiePop

Postby GoodiePop » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:53 pm

You’re a saint! I’m still learning about this engine, and I’m happy to be doing this all myself so I can learn. I had no idea there were interior screens. No matter how old we are, we learn something new every day. I’ll get after this in the morning and post my results. Take care and be well.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Look through the tsb's in the link in my signature. There are a few more details about the screens and bolt cleaning.