Alternator conundrum

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
Bigjoe_isuzu406
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1988 ISUZU LS 4x4 2.6L

Alternator conundrum

Postby Bigjoe_isuzu406 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 pm

Hey everybody, im trying to figure out what to do with my predicament, i have an uprgraded sound system in my 88 spacecab 4x4 2.6, and am curious if anyone has ever messed with the fitzall 220+ alternator, i want a high output alternator for my truck and this seems like the best option for fitting in there or if anyone has other suggestions for an alternator i can use?

FiatSpider2

Re: Alternator conundrum

Postby FiatSpider2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:39 am

The FitsAll 220 for the Isuzu pickup appears to be made for the 1991 to 1994 with the 3.1 L 6 cylinder engine and not for any of the older 4 cylinders.

It takes about 1 hp of engine capacity for every 33 amps of alternator output so figure on loosing about 7 horsepower with a 220 amp alternator compared to about 1.5 to 2 hp with the stock. The 220 also appears to develop about half its output at idle so that could be close to 4 hp at idle compared to less than 1 hp with the stock alternator so you may not get a good cold idle if there is any heavy draw on this alternator even if its just topping off the battery after a cold start.

Realistically the Space Cab with the 2.6 is a bit under powered to some folks as it is so you may need to consider whether can you afford to potentially give up that much engine power and fuel economy to the alternator/radio? Its all about compromises.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)