Front end rebuild - calipers won’t fit over brake lads

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Lilsthomebum
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 pup diesel 4x4 with a little luv on the side (doors and tailgate)

Front end rebuild - calipers won’t fit over brake lads

Postby Lilsthomebum » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:10 pm

I have been on and off rebuilding the front end of my 82 4x4 (diesel) and got all new bushings on everything, shocks, lower and upper ball joints. Inner and outer tie rod ends, knuckle seal and bearing, hub seal and bearings, repacked the axles, calipers and rotors. BUT when I was finally ready to put it all back together- when putting the new brake pads in- I couldn’t get the calipers to slide over the brake pads and eventually put the old brake pads on but it still unable enough where you can hear it loudly and feel the resistance when driving. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem when replacing the rotors and calipers? Maybe I got some bad parts? I’ve double checked a handful of times my part numbers. I purchased the rotors from parts geek (centric)
And I purchased the calipers from parts geek or rock auto ( can’t remember, but pretty sure they only have one in stock) Anyone have this happen to them after a rebuild?
Also, my left side axle hits the top of the lower ball joint but I figure that will be fixed when I get an alignment.

Thanks for any possible insight
Just at a point where I don’t have the time right now want someone else to fix it- before the classic Craig’slist post happens ( “love this truck, put a lot into it -just don’t have the time-....)

Red Truck

Re: Front end rebuild - calipers won’t fit over brake lads

Postby Red Truck » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:24 pm

I replaced my calipers about 4 yrs ago, and looking at the receipts, noticed there was a difference in the calipers/rotors depending on model years. I used Rock Auto's BeckArney 0760357 (L) and equivalent for the (R) on my '87, and they both fit fine. The OEM numbers are 8941247781 and 7821. My point is that if either of those two OEM numbers match up to the caliper part numbers you've got, then you've got the wrong parts for your model year. The disc rotors were sized different after 1984 as well. It appears to me this may be your problem.

I forgot to add: the brake pads are different sizes on the 82-84(?) years from the later years. The 1984 and later pads are slightly larger. Could that be the problem?

P-Town, eh? I have relatives in Quilcene.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Dittos to what Red Truck said about the different calipers, rotors, and pads. I definitely know that 81,82 are different than +84. I'm pretty sure the 83 is same as the 81, 82 .

Now, I had issues with my 81 and 82 Pups with the oistin getting seized up in the bore due to moisture and subsequent rust build up on the bore behind the piston. Once on my 82 I replaced the pads and compressed the piston back into the bore, it got jammed and wouldn't go further. I managed to get the caliper on but the pads drug. The Piston wouldn't back off. Warped my rotors. I then had to rebuild the caliper with new piston seals, etc. They worked good after that.

Lilsthomebum
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 pup diesel 4x4 with a little luv on the side (doors and tailgate)

Postby Lilsthomebum » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:51 pm

I double checked my part numbers through parts geek and they seem to match up with the 82 and 81 and not the 84. I’m gonna try buying new pads and make sure I got em for the 1982. Although I have little faith because the old pads barely fit. Who knows! Worth a shot. Don’t feel like taking everything apart again.
Thanks for the input Are the 4x4 calipers and rotors different Than the 2 wheel drive? Maybe that’s my problem? Non of the parts that are offered say anything about 4x4. I just assumed they would work

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:19 pm

I think they're the same. I got my last set of pads for my 82 from Jerry Lemond (see 1st post in parts section. Jlemond@bellsouth.net). Nice oem pads with shims & clips. Be sure your piston is going in all the way

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:05 am

Sometimes the linings they put on the backing plates are a little thick so you have to put them back without the anti-squeal pads and just use an anti-squeal spray coating until they wear in.

Note that some rotors come turned/machined/surfaced and "brake ready" while others are left thick and require turning/machining/surfacing before you install them so if you do not have them machined at your local parts store there may be a tight fit due to rotors that are not machined brake ready.

Aside from that pistons have to be compressed all the way, guide pins clean/well lubed with silicone brake grease and all slides and gibs on both the caliper and caliper mounts cleaned of any dirt/rust along with silicone brake greased so everything will slide freely to the fully released position.

Not unique to Isuzu either as this impacts many vehicles due to variance of manufacture, whether rotors are machined ready for use and/or lack of prep by the installer.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:50 am

Maybe I'm missing something here, but is there a reason you can't hold up and/or compare the old parts to the new ones, note any differences, and zero down the offending part? In that the new calipers and disc rotor appear to bolt up, it would focus my attention on the pads. A couple quick dial caliper measurements between old and new would reveal the culprit, unless the lining material is way too thick, but that seems unreal.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm

I can't seem to edit my previous post....but I just looked at Rock Auto's selection for brake pads for both your 82 and my 87, and I see that your 82's pad thickness (new) is .580 inches. The same dimension for my 87 is given as .602 inches. That's almost a quarter inch. I'd say you have the wrong pads for your model year. If the manufacturer says that's not the case, then maybe you can figure a creative way to shave off the difference, and make note of not using that company next time!

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Red Truck wrote:I can't seem to edit my previous post....but I just looked at Rock Auto's selection for brake pads for both your 82 and my 87, and I see that your 82's pad thickness (new) is .580 inches. The same dimension for my 87 is given as .602 inches. That's almost a quarter inch. I'd say you have the wrong pads for your model year. If the manufacturer says that's not the case, then maybe you can figure a creative way to shave off the difference, and make note of not using that company next time!

82 (author of post) and 87 (yours) are actually different.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:47 pm

I agree they're different, that's what I'm trying to point out. In other words, if his replacement/new pad thickness is greater than .580 inches, it's likely they're the wrong part.
Another consideration: My Haynes manual says the 1981-1983 disc rotor standard thickness is .492 inches, with the later years going up to .705 inches. Does the new/replacement disc rotor reflect the correct size?
Finally, with these calipers mostly being remanufactured units, I suppose it's entirely possible there's a metal chip or piece of a machinist's finger beneath the caliper piston, preventing it from going all the way in......hah!

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:48 am

Red Truck wrote:I can't seem to edit my previous post....but I just looked at Rock Auto's selection for brake pads for both your 82 and my 87, and I see that your 82's pad thickness (new) is .580 inches. The same dimension for my 87 is given as .602 inches. That's almost a quarter inch. I'd say you have the wrong pads for your model year. If the manufacturer says that's not the case, then maybe you can figure a creative way to shave off the difference, and make note of not using that company next time!

The difference is 0.022 inches or about 1/50th of an inch or about the thickness of the anti-squeal pad. 0.22 inches would be close to 1/4th of an inch (0.25) while 0.022 is less than 1/10th of 1/4th. Safer to just remove the plastic pad than to try to shave/grind/sand off friction material.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am

You're right, Spider, and that's what I get for doing math in my head....and no, I don't do my own Federal taxes!

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:46 pm

The pads I've purchased from advance and Jerry neither one has a plastic anti squeal pad. They had a flat metal shim like that snapped to the back of the pad.

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:09 am

puttputtinpup wrote:The pads I've purchased from advance and Jerry neither one has a plastic anti squeal pad. They had a flat metal shim like that snapped to the back of the pad.

The anti rattle clip sometimes incorporates both functions and can usually be left off while the pads seat.

The ease of exchanging is one reason I purchase parts locally plus its good to keep your money in the neighbor hood so your communities economy stays healthy. Otherwise when that's not possible/practical yes it's also good to support a forum sponsor/member.

Local stores have generally become more competitive with on-line prices so most often if I make a few calls locally I will find equal to lower prices locally and they most often have the part in stock or at a local warehouse plus available to me the same day or next morning at no extra charge.

I recently had the clutch cable snap on my 1.8L Isuzu Diesel in my Fiat Spider and found the clutch cable in stock locally for about $2 less than the best on-line price for the same exact part at the neighborhood OReilly Auto Parts and it was for the more hard to come by Fiat cable. Yes there was a more universal might fit cheaper part on-line but when you are comparing $13 for a part that you know will match at least the car to an $11 part that might fit and the $13 part is immediately available with no shipping, RMA, etc the local guy wins.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:51 pm

I knew I couldn't go wrong with oem from Jerry Lemond for my 82. The set i got from him was like the 3rd set I'd put on that truck....actually before I knew of Jerry. I resorted to replacing missing shims & clips with homemade and doping up the back sides with anti squeal stuff. The pads I got from Jerry were awesome. Never rattled nor squealed.

So yeah, run them for a while without the shims until you have room so they'll fit