Clean or Replace C223T Radiator?

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
BravoDrew

Clean or Replace C223T Radiator?

Postby BravoDrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:46 am

I keep hearing (on here) that the radiator in my vehicle ('86 turbo diesel spacecab california) is irreplaceable.

Why is this?

When I talk to mechanics they shrug it off and insist any radiator can be replaced and shouldn't cost more than $150 or $350 depending on who's doing the shrugging.

Are they wrong?

IS my radiator irreplaceable or not? Mine is covered in sludge, severely plugged. It may not even be possible to clean out.

What are my other options? Should I attempt to clean it at any cost, and sell it on here ?

Has anyone replaced this radiator with a non OEM ?
New owner, '86 Isuzu P'Up Turbo Diesel SpaceCab, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed

arrowmntdiesel

Re: Clean or Replace C223T Radiator?

Postby arrowmntdiesel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:31 am

Your mechanics are correct. So long as the tanks and mounts are still in good shape, the radiator core can be replaced with, in most cases, a much better core. This service here in Oregon runs between $250-400. Depending on the vehicle and the owner, most are unwilling to put this kind of money into a repair and prefer to look for a used replacement which are very difficult to find.

Mark
AAS degree Diesel Technology 2014, 10 yrs Isuzu Pup diesels. Owner: Arrow-Mountain Diesel services & Arrow-Mnt Windows, Medford, OR. Love God! One Marriage-One Wife, 2 awesome young ladies as my kids. Happily Married for 25+ years. One Blessed Man!

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:43 am

There are radiators out there that you can pretty much drop in save for drilling out some holes to mount it... Probably cheaper.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22722
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:08 am

A good radiator shop can acid bath soak your old one, even remove the tanks, and rod out the old core if it's in decent shape. I did that to an old 78 ford radiator recently. Cost me $60.

Cleaning it then reinstalling it with a dirty block and hoses may only get you a dirty radiator again.

Running a good cleaner through it and multiple flushes may clean the insides of the engine etc before taking the radiator to get cleaned out.

2sk8
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Isuzu Pick up converted to diesel

Postby 2sk8 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:05 pm

You can try to clean the radiator and the whole cooling system(Engine block and so) using oxalic acid (Wood bleach).

I done it many times in all my diesels. Good stuff.

But sometimes it can take way too many flushes, in one of my C223T took over 10 over time. The block was way too dirty from neglect from previous owner.

So it all depends on how bad you radiator or block is...

Oxalic acid is inexpensive:

$14.95 5 Lb OXALIC ACID 99.6% Free Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OXALIC-ACID-99-6-5-Lb-Deck-Crystals-Metal-Cleaning-Rust-Removal-FREE-SHIP-/131579248189?hash=item1ea2bbfe3d:g:auoAAOSwT6pVzmnn

Radiator flush:

The old-time classic was DuPont's heavy duty radiator cleaner, a two-part package with oxalic acid (which can chelate iron oxides), followed by rinsing and a sodium bicarbonate(Baking soda) neutralizer. You can still buy these ingredients, oxalic from most hardware stores and baking soda from the supermarket. About 2 cups of oxalic acid into a radiator (with water, no antifreeze), drive around for an hour or two, then drain, flush a couple of times with water, and then use the neutralizer - perhaps 1/4 cup or so in an average 20-25 quart cooling system. If the coolant that is drained is dark brown like tea or coffee, it's working and perhaps a 2nd treatment might be tried.

Or you can always get a new aftermarket radiator.

I did and it works wonders. No more over heating ever, cooling up to 500HP...

$116 free shipping

Aluminum Radiator 3 Row 56mm For Nissan Datsun 240Z 2.4L 70-73 260Z 2.6L 74-75

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROWS-CORES-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-FIT-NISSAN-1970-1973-Datsun-240Z-Z-series-Raditor-/182445169222?oid=131756481036

And make sure to really flush and clean the system before installing the new radiator.

Thread here: http://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=22722

Hope this info helps any one.

Ivan

BravoDrew

Postby BravoDrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Maybe I didn't understand but how can i flush the system *before* installing a new one (as suggested to not circulate the nasty coolant into the new part)?

if i use the old radiator it seems like i would have to clean that one first too then?

Or, is there some way of flushing the block without a radiator in it at all?

How would I go about doing that? Do I just pour coolant / cleaner directly down a hose and just let it drain into a pan, to flush the block?

How important is it that I replace my old thermostat and / or water pump before doing the "block flush" ?
New owner, '86 Isuzu P'Up Turbo Diesel SpaceCab, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:19 pm

I think the idea is to ckean it all up at the same time with the radiator still in the truck. Put buying a new radiator on the back burner for now and see how a thorough flush with the acid solution works out. The Wood Bleach ingredient is actually the same thing GM had as their coolant system flush.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Not aure about the engine thermostat removal, but I might consider removing the inline oil cooler thermostat. Mounted at the back of the head. The oil cooler will need cleaning out and neutralized well after the acid treatment.

Not saying you wont need a radiator rebuild after this, but it'll be clean and likely patchable

dorf

Postby dorf » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:49 pm

I' woud take it to a properly equipped Radiator shop......for cleaning

Then use a GM....350 cube ...(IT WILL FIT.)..180 degree thermostat...and new hoses

Your temp will run mid scale

However .i had to put springs in my hoses...additionally.....but no more problems

From experience.......best of luck