Smoke from the Clutch??

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
BravoDrew

Smoke from the Clutch??

Postby BravoDrew » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:40 am

HAS anyone ever FRIED his clutch?? (to the point of "smoking"?) Could you visibly see smoke and smell burning rubber from cab??

I'm hoping this is positive news...

PepBoys inspected and showed me:
-Turns out my clutch was fried !, likely the flywheel too

Phone video I took of the smoke that was coming from my hood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vij_69LjUwY

and pic:
Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 3.18.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 3.18.51 AM.png (165.33 KiB) Viewed 153 times

-Is it possible that smoke could have come from the clutch having just burned out?
For context, It was right after truck took a steep hill in Third, my girlfriend was driving and probably riding the clutch for a good 1 minute because she was afraid of stalling (she is still learning stick).

-Can clutch burn also explain that nasty burning rubber smell in cab I detect at high rpms? (note the high rpms are usually when she is shifting again cause she's learning.. I regularly drive high RPM (3k+) in 5th on the freeway and do not get the burning smell.

ONE MORE THING...
I still have a coolant leak somewhere because I need to refill the overflow every 3-7 days.
Hopefully not a blown gasket though *crossing fingers*
or head...
New owner, '86 Isuzu P'Up Turbo Diesel SpaceCab, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed

fasteddie

Re: Smoke from the Clutch??

Postby fasteddie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:20 pm

If you're sure it's a rubber burning smell, I would take a good look at all your belts while the truck is running. Make sure all the pulleys and idlers are spinning. You could also possibly have a coolant leak in the heater core but that smells more like antifreeze inside the cab. Burning clutch isn't really a rubber smell in my experience, more like an acrid electrical burning smell.
1989, 2.3L, 5 speed pickup, original owner