What is this?

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
mojogoat
Isuzu vehicle(s): 82 luv diesel SB 2wd

What is this?

Postby mojogoat » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Knob next to headlight switch. This box was zip tied to the steering column frame. It is currently not connected as is allot of the wiring, quite a mess.
Attachments
IMG_0333.JPG

puttputtinpup

Re: What is this?

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:23 am

Perhaps it was an aftermarket cruise control component.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:22 am

Or possibly an attempt to add intermittent wipers?

Jack

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:29 am

Any markings or clues on the other side?

Cruse control, wiper delay, rear defroster timer, automatic headlight dimmer, aftermarket glow plug controller, some aftermarket gizmo for adding blue tooth to the radio, etc, etc.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)

mojogoat

Postby mojogoat » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:48 am

I can't find any markings on it. It has 5 wires coming out of it and three connected to the knob. The knob clicks once as it rotates. There is a red led on the circuit board.
Attachments
IMG_0336.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Variable flux capacitor?

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 am

mojogoat wrote:I can't find any markings on it. It has 5 wires coming out of it and three connected to the knob. The knob clicks once as it rotates. There is a red led on the circuit board.

Very basic circuit with a timer chip and a relay so wiper delay or emergency flasher add on would be my first guess. That its disconnected would imply the previous owner had trouble with it. Not enough circuitry to be anything more intelligent like a quad sound or reverb unit for the radio or heavy duty enough to be part of a trailer brake controller. If there was a sensor in the grill or on the dash it could also be part of an automatic headlamp dimmer too.

mojogoat

Postby mojogoat » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:49 pm

Wiper delay sounds like the best guess although the leads are rather small for a wiper motor.

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:07 pm

mojogoat wrote:Wiper delay sounds like the best guess although the leads are rather small for a wiper motor.

Many of them were specifically for adding delay to the lower powered single rear wiper on cars, station wagons and SUV's so the wires were smaller than those for the main wipers on the front windshield. If you tried to used one on the dual front windshield wipers I don't believe they would last very long. They were more popular in the late 70's and 1980's when rear wipers were either running at one or possibly two constant speeds.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:32 pm

I'm about 99.9% sure that's a w-shield wiper timing controller. I've got one, it works great. Mine was from JC Whitney, from the early 90's. Took a while to figure out the wiring installation, it's a universal application kit. The only difference I see is mine has a green wire in place of the yellow one shown. I have the orig-o installation instructions, but the unit is called MT-111, with no brand name. Might be on the internet. The instructions are quite detailed about determining the high and low speed switching polarity, apparently it's not the same on all cars. It looks like someone tore the controller/rheostat knob off and stuck it into the knock-out plug next to the dash headlight pull switch. I mounted mine below the ashtray.

I can pass on the wiring connections I used on my '87, it ought to be the same as yours. Or maybe you've decided to disregard the thing.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

mojogoat

Postby mojogoat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:43 pm

I'm deleting it,
Thanks anyway.