81 chevy luv wont crank

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
masonandford
Isuzu vehicle(s): 81 chevy luv 2wd diesel from slygopup, 84 diesel 2wd long bed , 83 4x4 diesel with grease conversion, 84 diesel 2wd flat bed parts truck

81 chevy luv wont crank

Postby masonandford » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Hello!
This has been a bit of a saga, i will spare the gory details. I had been having starting issues due to the prime not being held becuas se of a air leak in the fuel filter housing. That has been replaced. So has the starter that got burned out in all that cranking.
Where I'm at now has got me stumped. I'm getting lights when i cut the key one but nothing in the way of trying to turn over. The starter relay and starter are both engaging. The battery has 14 volts on it and is from this year. Today I pulled the positive battery cable to the starter, there was a bit of corrosion but no damage. I was going to make up a new one, possibly with thicker wire. This seems like the last piece of the puzzle or is there some thing that I looked over?
Please and thank you and stumped
- Mason - 81 diesel Chevy Luv 2wd
84 diesel p'up long bed 5spd 2wd RIP

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: 81 chevy luv wont crank

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:39 pm

Are you positive you're hearing the starter relay and not a glow relay?

Just wondering if your clutch safety switch may have failed.

Jack

dorf

Postby dorf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:35 pm

There are some slip connections by the pos post that connect the fuseable links

Mine used to corrode.....

Clean...repair and replace as needed

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:21 pm

If starter solenoid clicks but starter won't turn over, it's likely burned solenoid contacts inside the solenoid. Common issue w the diesel starters. Check your grounds at the engine and body also to rule those out

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 Diesel LS Long Bed 4x4

Postby Halden » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:13 pm

If it were me I'd perform a voltage drop test. Then you can pinpoint be where the problem actually is. Start from the battery to the b post on the starter and close in the picture from there. Anything higher than half a volt and it can cause problems. Don't forget to rule out the ground side.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Bed Diesel
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:26 am

Use a mechanics starter switch or just jump the solenoid to the main lug on the starter. If its turns over then your circuit between the ignition switch and starter solenoid has been stressed too. The solenoid can draw 10 amps or more and the starter itself around 2 KW on even a 4 cylinder diesel.

On my Franken Spider I was burning out solenoids until I took a 40 amp universal relay, powered it off the main lug on the starter with a 15 amp fuse inline, connected the original lead from the ignition switch to the relay and used the relay to provide more direct power from the main lug to the starter solenoid. In the years since I did that I have not burned out another starter or solenoid.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)