1987 Spacecab turbo diesel rehab

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
cocheeze

1987 Spacecab turbo diesel rehab

Postby cocheeze » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Hey all,

I am excited to say that last weekend I picked up a 1987 Spacecab Turbo Diesel, which I intend to convert into an adventure mobile over the next year or so. For those who peruse the whole vehicles for sale section, it is Oil Can Harry's old rig. I am familiar with the C223 because of the other p'ups that I have owned of the years, but this is the first "later model" p'up diesel that I have owned (later meaning after 1981-82) and this is my first turbo diesel.

It has been sitting since at least 2015, so I am basically looking to put together a checklist of things that I should do before I fire her up for the first time.

I am thinking that it would be a good idea to replace the timing belt, because the previous owner can attest to personally putting 50k+ miles on the current one, and an unknown history before that. Also, it can't be good for a timing belt to sit in the same position for 3 years and then be started again...

What else should I check/replace/do before I bring her back to life?

Thanks!

Casey
His:
'81 Isuzu P'up Diesel 4WD (310k)
'87 Isuzu P'up Spacecab Turbo Diesel (228k)
'81 Isuzu I-Mark Diesel (220k)
'81 Isuzu I-Mark LS Diesel (219k)

Hers:
'82 Isuzu I-Mark Diesel (135k)