Turbo?

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
Justin Montez
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 LUV diesel

Turbo?

Postby Justin Montez » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Can anyone give me advice on whether or not the Isuzu engine in a Chevy luv can handle a small turbo? 1982 Chevy LUV 2.2? Isuzu diesel. Not sure if the bottom end will handle it.

puttputtinpup

Re: Turbo?

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:39 pm

According to Jerry Lemond, a naturally aspirated diesel will handle a turbo. Whether you start with a non turbo c223 or a factory turbo c223 (different connecting rods and injection pump), over reving the engine will toast it. I know of one member who had Jerry Lemond (retired super tech and engineer for Honda and Isuzu) put a NA diesel from a LUV into a trooper. Made it into a 2wd trooper with a 5speed to lighten it up, but wasn't enough. Jerry later added a turbo set-up to that engine. The owner who had Jerry do the work still runs it around Charlotte, NC.

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:21 am

Being a Chevy it may already have the Turbo Module on the IP. In the American Market it appears like it was a given that many Chevy owners were going to add a turbo.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:41 am

FiatSpider2 wrote:Being a Chevy it may already have the Turbo Module on the IP. In the American Market it appears like it was a given that many Chevy owners were going to add a turbo.
The turbo came out four years after the last LUV, and had a different pump with a larger plunger along with boost compensation. I've never seen that on the LUV or even the S10.

Jack

2sk8
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Isuzu Pick up converted to diesel

Postby 2sk8 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Yes it will handle a turbo and so much more:

I have a C223 that I converted to turbo. I couldn't take it any more: The thing was very slow and smoggy as they come.

Where I live is very hilly and people around here drive like maniacs, really.

You know, is very scary when you driving the slow bugger and a 300lbs land whale screams obscenities at you, LOL. So I decided that I had enough dealing with screaming maniacs.

So yeah, I did I bunch of things to make the slow smoggy thing into a fast beast.

First thing was to install a GT1549S turbo along with a turbo smart manual controller set to around 17lbs boost.

Then I converted the NA pump to turbo pump: Where you replace the NA internals with turbo internals(Boost pin, diaphragm, guide pin, etc...).

I did the advance timing mod in the pump(Where you replace the spring with a softer one): Better acceleration, a lot lower EGT's and better mpg.

I also change the 9mm rotor head to a 10mm rotor head. I'm changing to a higher lift camplate very soon. And doing the governor mod as well.

I installed a water injection system, that injects 100% water pre-turbo (And yes pre-turbo injection works very well, been using it for years) starting around 6-7 psi boost. I have done 50% water-50% alcohol but I'm happy with just water, it cleans the combustion chamber really well, power is also up.

Also installed a front mount intercooler, ceramic coated pistons, valve coated pistons, gapless rings, chrome liners, dry lubricant coated bearings...

Well don't be afraid to add a turbo. The GT1549S it's a match made in heaven for the C223.

When you decide to add a turbo make sure you also install an EGT gauge(A must) and a boost gauge and tune to your liking.

Hope this info helps any one.

Don't be afraid to try new things, it can only get better...

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:17 am

JoeIsuzu wrote:
FiatSpider2 wrote:Being a Chevy it may already have the Turbo Module on the IP. In the American Market it appears like it was a given that many Chevy owners were going to add a turbo.
The turbo came out four years after the last LUV, and had a different pump with a larger plunger along with boost compensation. I've never seen that on the LUV or even the S10.

Jack

The 4FB1 that I use came with the NA pump in the Isuzu models but had the Turbo Compensator Module on the Chevy's. Most I see are pulls put into boats, Jeeps and other conversions such as my Spider. A pull from a Chevette is the prize since you do no need a new pump in order to turbo charge it.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)