Coolant temp sensor.

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
lucas
Isuzu vehicle(s): 2002 Trooper TOD/4WD 1991 Space cab LS 4wd

Coolant temp sensor.

Postby lucas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Guys my truck runs rough at idle after warming up. My prior vehicle knowledge tells me this is probably a coolant temp sensor or possibly something in the distributor. I know the CTS is under the lower intake manifold but where exactly I don't know, my factory 1990 isuzu pickup manual isn't specific with a picture. Also I don't know if I bought the right sensor heres a link to the one I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSOI9E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The picture I do get in the book is dissimilar to this one I bought. Also anyone have a muffler recommendation

lucas

Re: Coolant temp sensor.

Postby lucas » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:59 pm

youtube'd it what a dumb place for it.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:00 pm

Yo! I'm just down the road from you in Vader. My (spare) temp sensor for my 1987 is Beck Arnley p/n BA201-1220. Got it from Rock Auto, for $5. It doesn't look like the one in your pic. It's located on the fwd (radiator side) lower intake manifold, just inboard of where the EGR valve used to be. Mine has a single yellow wire. Don't know if you're aware, but Rock Auto has pics of the parts, along with factory part number applications. Even if you don't order their parts, it's still a good reference source. Speaking of that, this Isuzupup website forum we're on as a VERY handy factory part number source, it's under "parts", poke around and find it. When you see things written in Cyrillic, you're there.
In 2013, I got tired of replacing my glasspack Cherry Bomb muffler, and bought a Raptor Flowtech turbo muffler, for about $25. A local speed shop sells them. I think they're 1 and a quarter (half?) diameter fittings, you'll have to measure yours, and just tinker-toy the thing togehter. I don't think I spent more than $35 for the whole she-bang, and it's still effective as a muffler. The cat-converter was removed long ago, replaced with straight pipe.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:27 am

Sorry, but got to thinking (uh-oh!). About all my temp sensor (described above) does is feed the dash gauge. If your rig has fuel injection or some sort of radiator fan switch, then there's another coolant temp sensor somewhere, and that may affect your idle problem. Hope I didn't mislead you.

lucas

Postby lucas » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:13 pm

does not feed the gauge I was able to access it with several extensions and through the bottom of the truck. Came right out, the dumb ass spring clip took longer to get off actually. The gauge sensor is also close to where the other sensor is. If you take the front right tire off its a huge help.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Great! You might want to match it up with whatever Rock Auto shows for a replacement, just to make sure you're getting the right part. If you want it quicker, I suppose NAPA sells them (get your 10% military discount, ya gotta ask for it). Also, I've since tossed the receipt for the muffler but I believe it was the smallest size they offered for that style.

lucas

Postby lucas » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 pm

turns out it was the correct part, went in pretty easy actually but I found some other things im not sure about Ill make another post describing the symptoms though.