C223 headers from Downunderyank

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
makaraft
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Chevy Luv Diesel

C223 headers from Downunderyank

Postby makaraft » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm

Hey guys,

Just wanted to do a quick write up on the headers I got from Daniel. They came off the Aussie version of the P'up (right-hand drive) so the fit on US versions was questionable.

I have an 81 LUV with the C223. I'm not running the aux/ power steering pulley on the left side of the engine, so I may have more room than some people. I had to bend the oil dipstick tube up a little bit to fit and grind down the flanges on the intake manifold to match the thickness on the Exhaust Headers. Other than that it's a direct fit and sounds awesome when ran without the exhaust. Obviously, the exhaust has to be modified to fit where the headers come out at (directly underneath the driver seat).

I attached a few pictures to show the install process.

Thanks goes out to Daniel again for bringing these parts back to the states for us.

-Mac.
Attachments
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1299.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: C223 headers from Downunderyank

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:36 pm

That's awesome! Can you tell if it actually helps the performance? I'm sure it FEELS stronger because of the sound. ;)

Jack

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Looks good and I'm sure it sounds goog too! That's a different looking vacuum pump oil line. Must be custom made. Id look at trying to shield it somehow from the heat off the exhaust. And when they make the connection with the rest if the plumbing, somehow use a brace from the exhaust flange to the bellhousing to help support the vibration.

Years ago i gave (shipped to him) one of our members a manifold i had that was cracked. Supposedly he was a welder and promised to design and fab up a header for us with diesel engines. Once he got the manifold, I never heard from him again. Grrrr

makaraft
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Chevy Luv Diesel

Postby makaraft » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:58 pm

Performance wise I don’t think it’s a noticeable difference. My old mani was cracked so I was just happy to have something to replace it

downunderyank
Isuzu vehicle(s): spacecab diesel Holden rodeo 1993, 1986 pup spacecab, 1987 pup spacecab

Postby downunderyank » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:47 pm

With all due respect, I don't think we can assume these headers don't preform better than the stock manifold. I sold the first of four sets of headers to Mac at a discount so he could install them and make sure they fit our US model pups which he did. As far as performance testing, I'd have preferred to have someone who was only changing one variable on the pup to test them but Mac had changed a bunch of stuff it seems and when he got it back together and took it for a quick test drive, it threw the timing and broke his rocker shaft and it died and he hasn't driven it since. I'm hoping he comes back after he gets it running well and drives it a while with a better response but because of the variables changed at the same time, we won't know qualitative data on performance. Does someone else want to install the next one and give us performance feedback?
converted '86 diesel spacecab

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:27 pm

downunderyank wrote:With all due respect, I don't think we can assume these headers don't preform better than the stock manifold. I sold the first of four sets of headers to Mac at a discount so he could install them and make sure they fit our US model pups which he did. As far as performance testing, I'd have preferred to have someone who was only changing one variable on the pup to test them but Mac had changed a bunch of stuff it seems and when he got it back together and took it for a quick test drive, it threw the timing and broke his rocker shaft and it died and he hasn't driven it since. I'm hoping he comes back after he gets it running well and drives it a while with a better response but because of the variables changed at the same time, we won't know qualitative data on performance. Does someone else want to install the next one and give us performance feedback?

I'm with you. It would be great to see before/after numbers with the headers being the only change.

Jack

Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:47 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
downunderyank wrote:With all due respect, I don't think we can assume these headers don't preform better than the stock manifold. I sold the first of four sets of headers to Mac at a discount so he could install them and make sure they fit our US model pups which he did. As far as performance testing, I'd have preferred to have someone who was only changing one variable on the pup to test them but Mac had changed a bunch of stuff it seems and when he got it back together and took it for a quick test drive, it threw the timing and broke his rocker shaft and it died and he hasn't driven it since. I'm hoping he comes back after he gets it running well and drives it a while with a better response but because of the variables changed at the same time, we won't know qualitative data on performance. Does someone else want to install the next one and give us performance feedback?

I'm with you. It would be great to see before/after numbers with the headers being the only change.

Jack

Yank & Jack - -

I am inspired to render an opinion here.

The installation of headers should improve the breathing of the engine; ie, the flow of exhaust out of the engine and fresh air into the engine. This, in itself, will probably not improve performance. But, if more fuel is added to take advantage of the larger air charge in the cylinders, I would expect a noticeable improvement.

To do this, I would turn up the full load screw a bit until the engine just smokes. If you cannot turn the fuel up without the engine smoking, I would have to say that no improvement has been made. Also, I think that any improvement would be made at engine speeds of around 2500 and above rather than at slower speeds where the dynamics of air flow are less significant.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.