Won’t go over 50ish

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
puttputtinpup

Re: Won’t go over 50ish

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri May 15, 2020 1:44 am

OK! wrote:
puttputtinpup wrote:Is it simply stuck in neutral? Roll it a bit on level ground with engine off and try to ease it into a gear? If stick wouldn't move at all when doing this and transmission seems like it's in gear already, one of the shift rods could be stuck in place. The shifter plate could also be loose on top of the tower

When truck is off can cycle through all the gears like usual. When truck is on gears just grind when I try and put it in any gear. I can turn it off and put in gear and then start it and be in gear.

Ok, transmission is okay. Now, focus on the cracked firewall. It'll flex when the pedal is pressed and cause the clutch not to disengage.

OK!
Isuzu vehicle(s): Blue 82 pup 2.2L diesel 4x4 short bed

Postby OK! » Sat May 16, 2020 4:32 pm

puttputtinpup wrote:Ok, transmission is okay. Now, focus on the cracked firewall. It'll flex when the pedal is pressed and cause the clutch not to disengage.

Firewall is not moving. Update- finally got a look inside the bell housing. I think it may be the Throwout release bearing? I took a video:

The movement I am providing with my hand. The throwout bearing springs appear to be intact. This is all being done with the spring on the outside of the bellhousing unhooked.

Is the bearing moving and operating like it’s supposed to, or is it supposed to have opposing tension on it?

Edit: I don’t know if that video worked, so here’s a YouTube link. https://youtu.be/Z_e55U5D9Q8
82 4wd 4spd diesel

Paul

Postby Paul » Sat May 16, 2020 11:19 pm

It appears that you are just exercising the free play in the clutch release lever in the video. When the lever has moved to the forward stop in the video it is then ready to be moved farther forward by the clutch pedal and cable to release the clutch. This probably is not happening, either due to a bad cable adjustment or due to the firewall flexing when the clutch pedal is exercised.

You need to have someone else exercise the clutch pedal while you observe the throwout bearing and also while observing the firewall.

The transmission will not shift into any gear while the engine is running if the clutch has not released. The fact that it shifts into the gears with the engine stopped indicates that the tranny is probably OK.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun May 17, 2020 7:05 am

I second what Paul said. Those fingers on the pressure plate that the release bearing touches have to be pushed inward and move the plate away from the clutch disk. There should barely be any travel gap between the bearing and those fingers when the lever is pulled forward by that spring you removed. Adjust the cable so there's minimal travel. Enough to not touch with foot off the clutch pedal.