Oil leak

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
mar_phi6
Isuzu vehicle(s): 92 Isuzu Pickup 2.3L carb 5spd 2wd

Oil leak

Postby mar_phi6 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 pm

So i took my isuzu pickup to the mechanic and he said my valve cover gasket is leaking. He also said he will pull the transmission out to see what else is leaking cause it doesnt think the rear main seal is the culprit and is leaking fast. My question is, is there an oil o ring once you take the valve cover off behind the head and block or near the distributor.

oldestisuzuist

Re: Oil leak

Postby oldestisuzuist » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:04 am

There is a semi-circular plug in the back of the head that the valve cover gasket seats against the flat portion. Seal the circular part to the head with RTV. They get hard & brittle over time but are only a couple bucks, I usually keep a spare & replace it if it looks suspicious when the valve cover is off to adjust the valves. This is most likely your leak source. Oil will run out just below the valve cover right at the back of the engine & then run down either or both sides of the engine & bellhousing.
The distributor shaft has an O-ring that can leak. Look for oil running down the block just below where the dizzy installs. Oil running down the back of the engine will usually be on the dizzy side.
I would replace the semi-circular seal & valve cover gasket, then clean the engine enough to see if the leak is fixed or if the dizzy O-ring may be leaking. Don't pull the tranny before eliminating these two possible leak sources.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:52 pm

With those symptoms, what worked for me, besides a new valve cover gasket with the half-moon-shaped piece (with sealant as mentioned above), was a #17 o-ring for the distributor. The dimensions are ID-7/8", OD-1 and 1/16", by 3/32" thick. I suppose a hardware store would carry them, but since I was getting the valve cover gasket kit from Rock Auto, I went ahead and got their Dorman part #64212 o-ring. Turns out my leak was from the distributor shaft only. If you're real careful marking and removing the distributor, you won't disturb the ignition timing (of course, you ought to check it again after it's back together!)
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

mar_phi6

Postby mar_phi6 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Man I feel like I should asked first before taking the truck to the shop.

mar_phi6

Postby mar_phi6 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:07 am

How hard is to replace the oil pan gasket?

Red Truck

Postby Red Truck » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:28 pm

An oil pan gasket is not difficult to replace, on your particular rig.
I don't mean in any way to doubt your abilities, but I believe your best investment at this point would be a Haynes workshop manual. I'd be lost without one for any of my vehicles. Also, this forum has additional guidance for that procedure. Are you near Tucson? I have a good friend there.
'87 Isuzu pickup 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD

gb89amigo

Postby gb89amigo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 pm

mar_phi6 wrote:How hard is to replace the oil pan gasket?

mar_phi6,

Recommend acquiring an original factory ISUZU service manual for your truck, such as from the following source: https://www.google.com/search?q=Factory ... e&ie=UTF-8

If not from this source, continue with FREQUENT interweb searches to ferret out the best price(s)! I heartily recommend an ISUZU factory service manual over, the aftermarket attempts, as frequently the aftermarket efforts are either grossly inaccurate or just plain wrong! The original Isuzu manuals may cost a bit more, but they're a long term investment and enhance the resale value of your PU.

Cheers,

GB
'89 Amigo XS 2.6L 5spd 2WD HC6

oldestisuzuist

Postby oldestisuzuist » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:19 pm

I have the 2.3 4DZ1 engine section from the FSM in a 4mb PDF, if you want a copy PM me your email address.
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

mar_phi6

Postby mar_phi6 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm

So for the update..rear main, valve cover and the half moon circular rubber gasket has been replaced. Next is to tapped the oil pressure switch and put a new one on. For the oil pan gasket..can I replace it without taking the transmission out?

sasa_k
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 isuzu pickup 2.3l 5 speed 235k

Postby sasa_k » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:36 am

you can take the pan out with out taking the tranny out, but you have to take off the bottom tranny mount to the block in order to get to the last bolt for the oil pan
91 Isuzu pickup RWD 2.3l 5 speed

Return to “General Troubleshooting and Maintenance”