82 Pup acting sick

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
B.Scott
Isuzu vehicle(s): 82 Isuzu Pup 2wd 2.2 long bed 5 speed

82 Pup acting sick

Postby B.Scott » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:54 pm

Hello all, been having an issue with my little truck for a while now. 82 Pup, 2.2NA 5speed 2wd. The truck will run great, cruises at 65mph no problem, and pulls pretty hard. Zero trouble starting. The issue I'm having is it would intermittently run more "sluggish". It would go from cruising at 65 no problem to feeling like the truck was struggling to do 55. Gets good fuel mileage, previous owner had adjusted the fuel screw, but the truck ran great when I bought it close to a year ago. It only smoked if you we're working it hard :twisted: . Since I've owned it I've replaced fuel filter, timing belt, replaced fuel lines and drained tank. Adjusted the valves, replaced CSD seals, and recently replaced the factory muffler with a straight through style that goes on a small tractor. I plan on cleaning the banjo fitting screen on the pump. When the truck is acting "sluggish", you can be accelerating hard and sometimes it'll "clear up" and pull harder than it ever has. The smoke level looks healthy, not like it's just dumping fuel. Truck has 180xxx miles, is it due for injector work :shock: ? Truck also had 420psi of compression across the board.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: 82 Pup acting sick

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:40 am

Those are the classic symptoms of a sticking CSD. There's a really long thread here called "Erratic pPerformance". There's another one in the "how-to" section about the CSD.

Jack

puttputtinpup

Re: 82 Pup acting sick

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:06 am

JoeIsuzu wrote:Those are the classic symptoms of a sticking CSD. There's a really long thread here called "Erratic pPerformance". There's another one in the "how-to" section about the CSD.

Jack
I 2nd what Jack said about a sticking csd. But if its been a while since the fuel filter was changed, change it again. Those water in fuel sensors never work. Could have some water in the bottom.
Clean the banjo fittings and the screen like you said.
Another thing is perhaps the fuel cap isn't venting.
Also, take the return like off the inj pump and blow light compressed air back into the tank to make sure its not restricted. A clogged return will affect the CSD which will affect timing. (Im pretty sure thats right)

Return to “Diesel - Troubleshooting and Maintenance”