Converting '87 P'up w/auto to 5-speed

This is the place to discuss NON-diesel engine and driveline modifications.
rat76
Isuzu vehicle(s): '87 P'up 2.3 L, auto, Webber carb, Trooper rear axle, ex class C motorhome

Converting '87 P'up w/auto to 5-speed

Postby rat76 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:52 pm

New member, been lurking for a few years & really appreciate the wealth of info on this site.

I've got an'87 P'up with the 2.3 L gas engine & automatic trans, After replacing the rear end with one out of a '90 Trooper I need to do something to get it driveable on the highway. I figure the best route is to swap out the automatic & replacing it with a 5 speed manual. I'd really prefer to go with the cable clutch. If I understand correctly the following are my options for a pretty much "drop in" installation.

'86-'87 P'up (diesel or gas)
'88-'95 Pickup or Amigo (gas 2.3 only)
'86-89 Impulse (note that the Turbo has a higher 5th gear ratio)

I want to get the rest of the parts in hand before dropping the big bucks on the transmission. The main item is the clutch pedal assembly. What vehicles can I find this assembly that will work in my '87? Also is replacing the brake pedal required? I am more than willing to trim the existing pedal if that will work.

What sort of arrangement is there for holding the transmission end of the clutch cable?

Parts for these things are quite hard to find around here. I went with the trooper rear end rather than a 2WD pickup as it was the only 6 lug rear end the local salvage could find.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jim

oldestisuzuist

Re: Converting '87 P'up w/auto to 5-speed

Postby oldestisuzuist » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:54 am

Quote: "What sort of arrangement is there for holding the transmission end of the clutch cable?"
There is a bracket that attaches at the tranny to engine juncture. The bracket keeps the cable sheath from sliding. If you can't find one on a salvage vehicle you should be able to fabricate one from a piece of flat stock bolted between two bellhousing bolts with the proper size hole for the cable end.
Cable clutch bracket.JPG
'78 Chevy LUV,1.9,4sp,headers,31's,SAS Dana 30,Dana 20,SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, body ROUGH, bought new 12/4/78. A pre-P'up?
'87 Trooper,2.3,5sp,headers,31's,ball joint flip & spacer,Aussie Locker rear,Superwinch hubs,brush guard w/5.5K winch.

hillbillie1

Postby hillbillie1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:29 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg

Photo of parts.
Attachments
image.jpg
Diesel and GAS PUPS
Several Project PUPS
Cummins 3500 4X4 6 speed Manual
2011 Limited Ultra HD

rat76
Isuzu vehicle(s): '87 P'up 2.3 L, auto, Webber carb, Trooper rear axle, ex class C motorhome

Postby rat76 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:42 pm

I'm puzzled. Just got off the phone with a salvage yard 3 hours away. The guy wouldn't sell me the 5 speed from a '92 pickup 2.3L. Said the "book" said it wouldn't fit my '87. Said '86 -'87 are a special case. Any idea what he's talking about?

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:48 pm

Tell him you got tj6e year wrong and its for a 93. What does he care anyway what it's for.

rat76

Postby rat76 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Yeah, if the one in Ft Smith falls thru I'll do that. It's 112,000 miles with a 6 month warranty. The '92 in OKC is 88,000 miles with a 3 month warranty. That's only 24,000 difference, I'd rather do business with the nice one.

Some of the folks in the City are...let me put it this way, forum rules prevent me from expressing myself properly, but the fellow seemed to be a bit full of himself & knowing it all shall we say.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:27 am

I hear ya. His prev job must have been at one of these modern "cant sell you a part if you dont tell me what vehicle its for" ignorants. I ran across this just asking for an FL1A filter cross reference or an old ford starter relay.

I hope it works out for ya.

rat76

Postby rat76 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Picked up a trans yesterday. Not my first choice which was a '94, 34K mi & $560 shipped, in Toledo. They couldn't find it after I'd ordered it. :? :(

This one is a '92 166K mi, $250 & 71 mi away.

I looked it over real good this morning & it seems to be in good shape. No leaks, pretty clean, shifts & rotates smoothly. A little movement in the end of the input shaft, .05 in each way & no end play.

Got all my parts except for some of the rubber boots. Time to do a little cleaning, painting & installing.

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:17 pm

I was hoping to hear if you checked to see if there had been any gear oil in the tranny. Takes motor oil. Gear oil is a no-no. The drain plug also has a magnet that'll collect worn ferous pieces.

Also, take a moment to find a short socket (correct mm) and breaker bar. Break the filler plug loose. filler plug is usually very tight. This will save you some knuckle busting later.

If you're going to pick up the tranny, see if you can get the shift console and boot that goes on the floor.

You could take a meter and check the reverse light switch and see if it works. Normally open. Clised circuit when in reverse. You'll probably have to jerry rig the plug off the automatic to fit the 5speed switch.

Darby

Postby Darby » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Get your clutch cable from JLEMOND on this site. All the aftermarket ones were too short.
BTW. That's my picture.
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.

rat76

Postby rat76 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:22 pm

No gear oil, drain plug was really tightened down. I had to get out the long breaker bar. I'm thinking they just hung it tail down over a drum to drain before putting on a shelf. The brake switch is good.

The seat had already been sold. From the pictures on Hollander the truck looked in pretty good shape. I'm not really sure why it was junked.

From the looks of the interior I don't think the console would have worked for Smokie. A rubber boot on the floor will do nicely.

All in all I'm happy with this, The price was right & shipping was less than a half tank of gas in my '85 Toyota pickup (12 gal tank). Nice drive thru one of the prettier parts of the state. Good day all around.

W(1).jpg

M(1).jpg

I.jpg

A(1).jpg

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:07 pm

10-4 on the drain plug. Be sure to pre-loosen the filler plug while its out of the truck. ;)

rat76

Postby rat76 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Sounds like you guys learned that the hard way. :lol:

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:57 am

Oh yes! A 15/16" is what I used on my oil drain plug. Not the correct size in metric. Engine oil is same size as the tranny plugs. That SAE size sorta fits but a bit too loose for those overtightened transmission plugs. Most of the filler plugs I'd seen over the years were buggered up by the wrong size wrench, channel locks, vice grips, pipe wrenches, etc. I even cracked a rib lying on my side under the truck straining even with the correct socket and breaker bar. Along with skinned up knuckles. So yes, Ive learned the hard and painful way and trying to save my friends going through the same grief
Last edited by puttputtinpup on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Phone txt typos

rat76

Postby rat76 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:38 pm

I've looked all thru my manuals & all that they say is "remove dust shield" without details. I need to get this thing off to straighten it.

output sleeve.jpg

Thanks in advance

Return to “General Performance Mods & Upgrades”