A few random questions.

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Skropeling
Isuzu vehicle(s): P'up

A few random questions.

Postby Skropeling » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:58 pm

I'm halfway through rebuilding my head, tomorrow I'm finishing putting it back together. But I spotted a few concerning things. My No. one cylinder exhaust valve was extremely loose. the push rod had a gap of over 1/4 inch, so that's not good obviously, but there where a few things the I don't really know how to fix. First, my air intake manifold's inside was absolutely caked with thick sludge and carbon, so much that I couldn't scoop it all out. My only guess is that this is somehow caused by the crank case vent, does it need a new filter? Second, my No. one temp sensor wire is somehow missing, I swear it used to be there but not anymore, and I can't find the wire that used to go to it. I turned my ignition on and the glow plugs seemed to turn on and off with no major issues, is the No. one sensor a backup or something? Or is it for something else? I think that's about all the scary stuff I found, any help one them would be appreciated, Thanks.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: A few random questions.

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:34 am

Your vehicle info needs some more details. The crankcase ventilation changed in '84. 1981-1983 engines vent to the road via the draft tube. 1984-1987 engines vent to the intake manifold. There is no filter.

There are two temperature sensors. One is just a thermoswitch for the glow plugs, and the other is for the gauge.

Jack

Skropeling

Postby Skropeling » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:40 am

Mine goes to the intake manifold, and it does seem to have a filter of some sort, it's in a black box that rests on top of the valve cover. At least when I opened the black box there was a piece of foam that looked like a filter.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:Your vehicle info needs some more details.

Do you need help with this? Let me know the details and I'll update it. Sounds like your truck must be '84 or later.

And I've never heard of foam in the oil separator box. I don't think that's original, and I can't imagine it not clogging up.

Jack

Skropeling

Postby Skropeling » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but I'll check again tomorrow once it's light out.

Skropeling

Postby Skropeling » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 pm

Ok, I opened it up, and there is some foam that looks like it's acting as a filter and it looks like it was made for the truck.
IMG_20180605_163128.jpg

IMG_20180605_163252.jpg

IMG_20180605_163247.jpg

arrowmntdiesel

Postby arrowmntdiesel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:46 pm

That is not foam. Take them out, Noting the direction, and soak them in an oil cleaner solvent. They will clean right up.

Mark
AAS degree Diesel Technology 2014, 10 yrs Isuzu Pup diesels. Owner: Arrow-Mountain Diesel services & Arrow-Mnt Windows, Medford, OR. Love God! One Marriage-One Wife, 2 awesome young ladies as my kids. Happily Married for 25+ years. One Blessed Man!

Skropeling

Postby Skropeling » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:23 am

Huh, they look and feel like foam, are they made of a more sponge-like material? Thanks as well, I will clean them, it looks like a lot of oil is getting past them.

Return to “Diesel - Troubleshooting and Maintenance”