Broken AC belts blows blower motor resistor?

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
taxonomy

Broken AC belts blows blower motor resistor?

Postby taxonomy » Wed May 16, 2018 4:27 pm

Here's a weird one. My blower motor resistor failed this spring. My AC failed sometime last winter but I didn't bother to fix it.

When I went to use the ac one day the fan stopped working, so I replaced the resistor and it worked until I turned on the ac and the resistor blew. So I started looking around and found the AC belt was broken and replaced that then replaced the resistor and it's been fine since. So that's twice that I powered up the AC with the broken belt and it blew the resistor. I know that the AC switch, at least, and the blower motor are on the same circuit but have no idea why those would be related.

Just thought I would post here for food for thought. Our Isuzu isn't a P'up as it's a 1995 but I think they have a lot in common.

Return to “Electrical Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Upgrades”