Glow plug fix

This is the place to discuss DIESEL engine modifications.
jer

Glow plug fix

Postby jer » Mon May 07, 2018 7:17 am

The previous owner of my truck installed a push button for glow plug operation. I did not like this setup as it was sketchy in winter and I did not trust it. I wanted to post my solution with the group to share with those who did not think of what I have done and get feedback on anything I may have overlooked. I currently haven’t pics so if you want let them me know and I will get some posted.

The first thing I did was to install the 11v glow plugs, part number I found in another thread on this site. Mounted a starter solenoid to feed the plugs. I don’t know the draw from the plugs so this seemed appropriate to keep from overloading the starter circuit. The solenoid is activated by current from the ignition switch. I tied into the ignition switch feed at the starter relay(black relay not blue one) on the drivers side fender. Now when I turn the ignition switch to the start position the glow plug circuit will activate. The starter will not engage until I depress the clutch. Now the glow plugs require no additional step to function(push button gone). The only thing necessary is a change in the order of operations(depress clutch after turning key to start not before). I have not tied the glow plug light into the circuit but that is next. Also, I used the wiring diagram available on a different thread on this site and confirmed with a test light before making electrical connections.

Any thought or feedback would be appreciated. Thank you
`82 LUV 4x4 c223t 5speed ..... project, upgrades in progress...

`84 P’up c223 wvo conversion awaiting frame transplant

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Glow plug fix

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon May 07, 2018 7:45 am

I really like the idea of using the start circuit to energize the relay, eliminating the need for a push button.

Jack

Return to “Diesel - Performance Mods & Upgrades”