Instrument Cluster from Honda Passport?

This is for "general" electrical discussions. Audio, security, remote start, and power accessories should go here, since they don't seem to fit anywhere else. Not for diesel-specific (like glow systems), or gasoline-specific (like ignition systems) topics.
raenglehart
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1991 single cab 4-cyl

Instrument Cluster from Honda Passport?

Postby raenglehart » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:16 am

Guys,

Quick question. I'm reading a lot on how the Honda Passport shared a lot in common with the Isuzu Rodeo of the same year ranges. And looking at some Instrument Clusters online, they appear to be the same size and shape and the same for my 91 Pickup, however, I have not found any listings showing the backside connections to confirm. Can any of you confirm or deny the Passport cluster will go into a Rodeo or Pickup? I'm searching for a cluster to add the Tach feature for my '91 Pickup and the Passport clusters are going for far less $$$ than a Rodeo one right now. Or come to think of it, I may be SOL if my '91 is speedo cable driven and these '94 clusters are electronic Speedo.....well, that leads me to do more thread searching I suppose....lol
94 Passport Cluster.jpg
94 Passport Tach Cluster

94 Rodeo Cluster.jpg
94 Rodeo Tach Cluster

raenglehart

Re: Instrument Cluster from Honda Passport?

Postby raenglehart » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 am

I forgot I already posed a Cluster question a couple weeks ago. I've found some info on PlanetIsuzoo but not definite. Nothing to answer this specific query though regarding the passport.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:20 am

I would personally want a cluster from a 4-cylinder vehicle. That would rule out all Passports.

There's an adjuster on the tach that will move the needle, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't actually convert from 6-cylinder to 4-cylinder use. I know this from experience with my '94 Amigo.

Jack

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:46 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:I would personally want a cluster from a 4-cylinder vehicle. That would rule out all Passports.

There's an adjuster on the tach that will move the needle, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't actually convert from 6-cylinder to 4-cylinder use. I know this from experience with my '94 Amigo.

Jack

Jack & raenglehart - -

I have worked on a number of tachs of this vintage and they all could be calibrated for any number of cylinders by just changing one timing capacitor inside the tach unit.

Paul
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 am

Paul wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:I would personally want a cluster from a 4-cylinder vehicle. That would rule out all Passports.

Jack

Jack & raenglehart - -

I have worked on a number of tachs of this vintage and they all could be calibrated for any number of cylinders by just changing one timing capacitor inside the tach unit.

Paul

You would not want to watch me try that. :lol:

Jack

raenglehart

Postby raenglehart » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:59 pm

Yeah, I figured it could Paul. I'm quite well versed in electrical circuit boards and such, so I should be able to do that if needed. Now, back to my question....will a Passport dash work (just comparing pics I've found thus far..no pics of the backside of them found just yet though).

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:47 pm

raenglehart wrote:Yeah, I figured it could Paul. I'm quite well versed in electrical circuit boards and such, so I should be able to do that if needed. Now, back to my question....will a Passport dash work (just comparing pics I've found thus far..no pics of the backside of them found just yet though).

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure. I'd send a PM to JLEMOND, I'm pretty sure he'll know.

Jack

raenglehart

Postby raenglehart » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks Jack, I'll do that.

Return to “Electrical Troubleshooting, Maintenance, and Upgrades”