1991 2.3 with bad idle/loss of power

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Scody56
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Pickup 2.3 5-speed

1991 2.3 with bad idle/loss of power

Postby Scody56 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 am

I bought a 91 2.3 5-speed about 3 weeks ago and then all of the sudden I was driving through town last night and I noticed that when I went to hit the gas to get up a Hill right before a stoplight there was nothing there and I realized the truck died, I immediately thought the alternator was bad but lights were not dim and it started right back up but died right after, tried it again and revved it up and it stayed running so I got through the stoplight to pull in a parking lot, let of the gas and died right away, continued to start fine but would die unless I gave it gas. Left it there for about 3 hours and came back to pick it up so I could get it home to work on it, I got it to the house making sure to keep the rpms high then I pulled into my driveway and put it in neutral to let it idle and it ran perfectly fine for about 5 minutes before I turned it off to go to bed. (It was around 3 in the morning when I had to do this)

Scody56
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Pickup 2.3 5-speed

Re: 1991 2.3 with bad idle/loss of power

Postby Scody56 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:25 am

Does anyone have any idea what could cause the problem?

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:42 pm

How much gas do you have in the tank? It could be a vacuum leak? I've heard other talking about an idle solenoid valve on the carburetor. Maybe it's giving fits. One of our members 1Badluv talked about a switch on the pedal (not sure if present on your model trk) that controls idle circuit with foot off the gas.
Reason I ask how much gas, sometimes the gas pickup tube in the tank gets pinholes in it and sucks air. Maybe a member more experienced with the gasser trucks will chime in also

Quahlity
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1992 Isuzu pickup 2.3 carb

Postby Quahlity » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm

My guess is a fuel delivery issue.
If the truck sat for a long time before you bought it, you might have the problem I had, but it's a long shot. There is a filter that you can see without removing the rear wheel that is near the tank fill tube. If it's the clear type, should have gas that looks like apple juice. If you have the metal filter, replace it with the clear type. They are under $5. If you see anything but clean fuel, read my post about bad gas.

As a test, pull the fuel line from the carb, pour some fuel injector cleaner into the hose and re-attach it to the carb. If your problems go away for a few minutes, your carb is dirty.

isuzuesque

Postby isuzuesque » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:53 pm

Have you fixed this problem yet? It may be the fuel cut-off solenoid on the carburetor. When these fail is blocks the idle fuel circuit so it will not idle but will run fine with your foot on the gas. When you turn the ignition to ON but don't start the engine you should hear a click when the solenoid opens. There is a test you can do with an ohmmeter but I forget what the resistance is supposed to be. I will look it up later when I get home. You could unscrew the solenoid and remove the spring and plunger and then screw it back in and see if it will idle. Without the plunger in the cut-off solenoid the truck might diesel when you shut it off and fuel will drip into the intake which might flood it. while you have it apart you should clean all the parts just incase the solenoid is just sticking.

John
1984 GMC S-15 Short Bed Pickup 2wd with Stock Isuzu 1.9L Gas Engine
manual 4 speed, manual steering, manual brakes, original owner, awesome!

Return to “General Troubleshooting and Maintenance”