Next you’ll see the armature and the brushes but you can’t pull the armature out until you remove the two carbon brushes out of the holders. Before you do that look for the small spacer washer on the shaft. It’s small as you can see in the picture. The brushes will take a little persuasion, hold the brush holder away from the armature and using needle nose pliers, you can wiggle them and work them out of the holders. Careful, you can crush them, they’re carbon, but they will come out. Then you need to still hold the holders to the outside and then the armature will skid up and out. Don’t catch any of the wires on the holders and break them, The magnet inside the housing will try and keep the armature in place but with the holders held to the outside just pull on the shaft and it’ll come out.
When I had the armature out I measured between each of the communicator bars and found that each had a very high resistance between them. In the range of 100K ohms or higher. I cleaned up the communicator with a small strip of very fine emery paper. Careful and don’t break any of the small wires. Then I was able to measure 1.1 to 1.2 ohms between each of the bar’s then.
I washed every thing down with a washing of ether. I used one drop of light oil in the bottom armature bushing, put the armature back in, slipped the brushings back in the holders, being real careful, the spacer washer, another drop of light oil on the upper shaft, install the mating housing, bend back over the three tabs, and then the impeller and a little Vaseline around the small black sealing seal and then the three screws. That about raps up the repair, apply 12 volts to the terminals and check your work..
Here are pictures that I took, but I don’t know how to put them in order here, so just look through them and I think you’ll see how I did the work. Good luck with the repair..
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"
1983 LS DIESEL LONG BED 2 W/D 126K miles
1986 LS Trooper Tubro Diesel 4 W/D 186K + miles SOLD
- Site Admin
- Posts: 20396
- Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:11 am
- Location: Germantown (next to Elvistown), TN
- Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!
Mine had a working motor, but had cracks (leaks) in the housing. I finally found one that doesn't leak. I had to blow compressed air through the pump section to get it to turn freely, but it's working now.
I agree with Jerry. Great work! I'm moving this to the "How-To" section.