Remote Oil Filter Hose

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
FiatSpider2

Remote Oil Filter Hose

Postby FiatSpider2 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:52 pm

While working cleaning up some grounds in my Fiat Spider with the 4FB1 diesel engine idling I notice a puddle of Rotella coming out from under the front bumper so shut it down.

The new 1/2 inch Gates SAE R6 Oil Hoses installed a little over a year ago failed though they are rated for 400 psi at 400 degrees. They did not fail at the doubled up clamps either.

Does anyone have a better hose to recommend? NAPA claimed this Gates Hose was the very best for a remote oil filter but...

Perhaps the Hayden Lifetime Oil Hoses?
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/hayden-3856/cooling---heating-16773/oil-cooler-hose-12954/662c07f31c2c/hayden-1-2-inch-i-d-oil-cooler-hose/112/4364580?q=oil+cooler+hose&pos=0

I sure am glad I was idling in the driveway and had not gone out to run errands instead.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)

FiatSpider2

Re: Remote Oil Filter Hose

Postby FiatSpider2 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:43 am

Found the root cause which was while driving the hoses would at times rub against the frame rail down below and chafed thin in that spot. I used the SAE R6 1/2 inch oil hose I had left over from the last time I replaced them and put them both through a 1.5 inch piece of clear vinyl tubing to prevent chafing through again. The sidewall of the vinyl tubing is about 5/16 inch thick and should offer sufficient protection.

Now comes cleaning up the stains on the white concrete driveway from the Rotella that leaked out.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)