No Diesel from tank to Fuel Filter

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
DurannmanS15DSL
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1984 GMC S15

No Diesel from tank to Fuel Filter

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:17 pm

Whats up fellas New Member here, I bought my first Diesel a few weeks ago 1984 GMC S15 2.2 Isuzu. I dont know much about Diesel besides the fact that they blow back smoke and dont use spark plugs lol. I bought the truck of a guy in North Hollywood CA. I got it towed home to Pomona CA once of the tow truck i decided to take it for a test drive around the block she didn't have much power but i wasn't expecting it lol I drove it home and parked it in my driveway. I right away realized it was leaking diesel after a little bit of cleaning i found the leak it appeared to be coming from the CSD i bought the ZEXEL overhaul kit part #146600-2120 . I had the local diesel mechanic instal it $400 later the leak is fixed and im exited to test drive it. That same day i test drive it for about 15 minutes when the temperature dummy guage came on luckily i was 2 blocks away from home and shut her off. The following weekend i did a little more cleaning and found a big crack in the radiator so i replaced it. Once again exited to drive it i decided to take it for my third test drive lol It ran great for about 20 minutes as i drove her around town until i turned onto my street and it turned off on me i costed all the way home and pushed her into my driveway. I realized my diesel guage dosen't work so i but some diesel in the tank about 4 gallons. I tried starting her back up but all i get is cranking no start. I tried pumping diesel up with the hand pump located on top of the fuel filter first i got a lot of dirty looking diesel to come out the overflow hose it almost looked like mud it was a really dark brown. I bought the new fuel filter from my local Oriellys after cleaning and replacing the bottom plug at the bottom of the filter i put it back on and tried pumping diesel up i got some but not enough to fill up the fuel filter i filled up the filter half way with diesel before putting it back on to help fill it up. I dont know what else to check for like i mentioned im completely new to diesel so i dont now what to check for next. What do you guys think? Maybe a air leak? Maybe my timing belt?

dorf

Re: No Diesel from tank to Fuel Filter

Postby dorf » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:20 am

Sounds like a clogged gas cap vent...or wrong gas cap......

No vent...just my 2 cents

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:48 am

If you have an air compressor, and a blow gun try this:
You'll need a helper. Basically, you're going to GENTLY pressurize the tank and force fuel from the tank, into the filter, through the injection pump and back out the return line at the rear of the pump. In order to monitor for a clear flow of fuel, you'll take off the line that runs from the injection pump back to the firewall and replace it with a clear plastic hose so you can see the fuel flow. HAVE A NEW PIECE OF RUBBER FUEL LINE TO REPLACE IT WITH WHEN SYSTEM BLEEDING IS DONE. GET NEW WORM SCREW TYPE CLAMPS. Connect the plastic hose to the inj pump ONLY and the other end into a jar or jug. If you don't take the return line off the firewall, the back pressure on the return from the tank will defeat the purpose.

Be sure to have plenty of fuel in the tank. If you add some dyed kerosene, you'll know when the fuel from the tank has gotten through the pump. Will help with starting too. Avoid the fuel tax police.

Take the cap off the tank
Pump up compressor. Dial regulator to 20-30lbs maybe less.
Stuff a rag sorta into the filler neck
TURN ON THE IGNITION KEY TO ENERGIZE THE FUEL CUTOFF SOLENOID ON THE TOP OF THE INJECTION PUMP. This will allow fuel throughout the pump and back through.

Get the clear plastic hose into place
Using the blow gun with rag wrapped around the nozzle, gently send short low pressure bursts into the tank. Don't blow too hard or you could blow off one other rubber line from tank to steel line on the frame that runs up to the firewall. Replacing that rubber line is a bugger! That will sent fuel through the supply line, fill up the filter, force air out of pump into plastic hose and then jar or jug.

If you wanna clean out the screens and pin holes in the banjo bolts before getting started, read the service bulletins in the link on my signature.

Now, if you have a vacuum brake bleeder like the one I did a review on in the Tool Review section, you could attach the bleeder to the return line and suck fuel from the tank to the return line using vacuum instead of pressure from the tank.

Once fuel is clear, install the new rubber line from pump to firewall.

You could crack an injector line and turn over the engine til you see fuel trickle out.
Cycle the glow plugs and it should fire off in a few revolutions

DurannmanS15DSL

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks guys im exited to keep on learning more about Diesel engines I can't wait to start working on mine. Sorry about the late respond I was away from the little S15 over the weekend, however my dad worked on it Sunday he kept on telling me that he thought there was something wrong witht he timing. He took off the timing cover and found that my timing belt was shredding. I was able to order one from Orielly i think its a Gates brand belt. Im still doing my research on the do's and donts. Im hoping yo get started on it this weekend any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

DurannmanS15DSL

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Heres some pictures of the old timing belt
20200729_145523.jpg
Old timing belt
20200729_153835.jpg
Old timing belt
20200729_153853.jpg
Old timing belt
20200729_145513.jpg
Old timing belt
20200729_145505.jpg
Old timing belt
20200729_145456.jpg
old timing belt

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:35 pm

Wow! That's scary! I hope it didn't jump time and ruin any rockers & valves

DurannmanS15DSL

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:39 am

No bueno

DurannmanS15DSL

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:41 am

Do you guys know a reputable place to buy a rebuild kit
Attachments
20200802_184941.jpg
20200802_185009.jpg
20200802_185144.jpg
20200802_184832.jpg

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:06 am

Try jerry lemond. Email jlemond@bellsouth.net

DurannmanS15DSL

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Thank you Puttputtinpup, I just sent him an email Im thinking if it my be more convenient to just purchase a complete engine rebuild kit since i dont really know much about the truck. I thought the Odometer might be correct showing 30k now im thinking it might have rolled over a couple of times considering the shape the timing belt was in.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:06 pm

A rebuild kit would not include pushrods or rockers. You definitely need pushrods, and I can't tell about the rockers.

Jack

DurannmanS15DSL

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks for letting me know, Do you think Jerry Lemond might have them? Do you know of any other places that might have them?

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:58 pm

I doubt the odometer has rolled over. They're bad about getting stuck on a series of consecutive 9's.
Like jack suggested, there's likely some rockers broken too. They have a weak spot cast into them to make em snap. That and bent rods help protect the valves.
Put in a request for a set. Jerry may have new. Chk w him

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:31 pm

And check with Mike (hillbillie1).

Jack

DurannmanS15DSL

Postby DurannmanS15DSL » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks guys, I got a response from Jerry I'll be double checking my rockers and valves tomorrow after i clean them up to make sure i know what i really need. Im really hopeful i like this little truck even tho i wasn't expecting it to give me these type of problems 2 months in.