Anyone help with oil pan removal 90 pickup

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips that are NOT specifically diesel-related.
Mikeinpants
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1990 Isuzu pickup

Anyone help with oil pan removal 90 pickup

Postby Mikeinpants » Sun May 03, 2020 7:13 pm

In trying to revive the oil pan to change the gasket in my 1990 2.3 liter 2wd Isuzu pickup but the dipstick has a bracket that's welded to the pan and the clutch cable runs through there so I'm not sure how to get it off any help would be great

Red Truck

Re: Anyone help with oil pan removal 90 pickup

Postby Red Truck » Mon May 04, 2020 4:54 pm

My wkshp manual covers your application as well, and it says for that engine/set-up, to lift the engine 4 or 5 inches off the front mounts...to clear the oil pick-up tube, I reckon...to remove the sump. My dipstick tube has a bolt and bracket set-up. Lifting the engine like that will include removing the radiator hoses, etc. Is the leak bad? Maybe just carry a quart of oil under the hood and park over some cardboard. Problem solved! Hah!
'87 Isuzu p'up 2.3 gas, 5spd, 4WD, base model, Fed spec

Mikeinpants

Postby Mikeinpants » Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Thanks for the reply and no the leak isn't bad I haven't actually seen it leak any myself but when I got the oil changed they told me there was a leak since then I've changed the clutch and flywheel myself and didn't notice a leak either so u might be right maybe I'll leave well enough alone

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon May 04, 2020 5:23 pm

Mikeinpants wrote:Thanks for the reply and no the leak isn't bad I haven't actually seen it leak any myself but when I got the oil changed they told me there was a leak since then I've changed the clutch and flywheel myself and didn't notice a leak either so u might be right maybe I'll leave well enough alone

They probably cross threaded the drain plug or stripped it out with an impact. Just leaving themselves an 'out'

Mikeinpants

Postby Mikeinpants » Mon May 04, 2020 5:26 pm

Ya I just checked the bracket on mine is tac welded in that's what's so confusing since we have had it since it was brand new

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue May 19, 2020 4:32 pm

After I had my new '89 pickup about 6 months, I discovered the oil pan bolts were so loose I could turn them with my fingers. I suspect they never tightened them at the factory. Maybe you can check them and snug them up.
1989, 2.3L, 5 speed pickup, original owner

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Postby Halden » Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 am

fasteddie wrote:After I had my new '89 pickup about 6 months, I discovered the oil pan bolts were so loose I could turn them with my fingers. I suspect they never tightened them at the factory. Maybe you can check them and snug them up.

That is definitely quite possible. Though torque specs on something like oil pan bolts are usually either in inch pounds or just a few foot pounds...
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard