Turbo Diesel locked up

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
Paul

Re: Turbo Diesel locked up

Postby Paul » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:29 am

Halden wrote:
blammogarage wrote:Got some bad news today from the machine shop. They magnafluxed it and discovered my head has 2 cracks in it.

Where are the cracks in the head. These engines tend to crack between the valve seats, which I would not worry so much about, no coolant runs above them. Lots of these engines running around with cracks in that area.

If this engine has liners in it already it has been rebuilt once in it's life. These are parent bore engines, no sleeves from the factory. Unless maybe it is a gen 3 block? I don't know if those by any chance came sleeved. They were warranty replacements. To remove, weld a bead around them let it cool and they should come out much easier...

When putting in new sleeves DO NOT use sleeve retaining compound!

Halden & All - -

Actually, coolant passages do run under the valve seat cracks. Jerry says these cracks generally do not go through to the coolant passages, but they possibly can. Here is a photo (taken by a member that I cannot remember) of a head that has been cross sectioned right between the valves. You can see that the head is quite thick under the valve seats and hopefully a crack would not make it all the way through.

Thru pre combustion chamber and cooling passage email.jpg

However, The AERA Technical Committee (an engine rebuilders association) has a bulletin that talks to this. Here it is as posted by Steve PT in 2009. Click images for larger, clearer view.

AERA Technical Committee on Head Cracks.jpg

I have implemented this repair on two turbo heads that had significant cracks, although they were not known to leak there.

Here are some photos of some steps in the process. Not necessarily comprehensive but should give an idea of the job.

Paul

Installing K Line sleeve to seal coolant crack.jpg

Tapping for plugs.jpg

Loctite 620 used to seal K line sleeve and Quarter Inch NPT Plug.jpg

Repair K Liners and Tools 2.jpg

Tapping for plugs.jpg

Loctite 620 used to seal K line sleeve and Quarter Inch NPT Plug.jpg
Attachments
Cutting K Liners in two.jpg
Reaming coolant passage 2 .jpg
'84 P'UP 2 wd diesel, 5 spd with 0.78 fifth gear and differential back to 3.73.

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Postby Halden » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks Paul. Glad to learn about this. If I rebuild another I might give this repair a shot.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

blammogarage
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 Isuzu Trooper Turbo Diesel

Postby blammogarage » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:39 pm

Wow, that is some excellent info. I forwarded the link to my machine shop. Thank you!

Also many thanks to Halden for pointing out that these diesel blocks don't have liners. I double checked mine and sure enough, the rings that I saw were just were marks from the head gasket. I'm back in business. My machine shop will hot tank the block, check it and bore 'n hone the cylinders for $250.

Not sure yet what the shop who's working on the head will charge for the crack fix.

MP

blammogarage

Postby blammogarage » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:42 pm

Anyone know the C223T standard crankshaft size and bearing clearances?

Thanks,
Mark

Halden

Postby Halden » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 pm

This was within the limit. I'll have my hands on a manual tomorrow morning
Attachments
20190529_122123.jpg
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd

Halden

Postby Halden » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Specs
Attachments
20200430_121824.jpg
20200430_121923.jpg
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd

blammogarage

Postby blammogarage » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Good day all. Still in the rebuilding stages of my c223 turbo engine. I have a cylinder head at the Machine Shop getting repaired, an engine block at another machine shop waiting for me to source some piston rings for my NOS .020 over pistons that I got from Australia. The Pistons did not come with rings unfortunately. I've been working with Hastings and they were able to come up with the second and third ring but not the top compression ring unfortunately. My compression ring groove is a 1/2 keystone ring type (beveled). I reached out to an Australian company who say they can source these 4 keystone rings for me at $195 plus shipping.
Wanted to check with you all to see if there is another source that I can contact.
Thanks,
Mark
Attachments
0608200915_HDR.jpg
0608200921.jpg

2sk8
Isuzu vehicle(s): 91 Isuzu Pick up converted to diesel

Postby 2sk8 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:29 pm

Try this:

Grant Piston Rings (Located in California)

http://www.grantpistonrings.com

(714) 996-0050

714-579-3793 Tech support: Craig

Grant is a leading manufacturer of piston rings for gasoline and diesel engines. We supply an extensive range of piston rings for passenger car, truck, bus, tractor, air brake compressor, forklift, motorcycle, generator and various industrial engine applications. Grant also manufactures piston rings for custom applications based on samples and drawings. We offer a variety of materials and coatings for piston rings ranging in diameter from 40mm to 340mm, in a wide variety of profiles and joint types.

teener
Isuzu vehicle(s): 82 Chevy LUV Long Bed Diesel

Postby teener » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:21 pm

Blammo, I have the same need for .020 over rings. Jerry is looking through Hastings. Is the place in Australia making the top rings for you or are they in stock? Is that $195 Australian dollars? The ring issue is my main stumbling block at the moment.

blammogarage

Postby blammogarage » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:55 am

Hi. I spoke with Shane at smsdiesel in Australia. Rings are in stock. I was able to negotiate the price down to $195 AU including shipping. That's about $140 US dollars. I went ahead and placed the order for 4 compression rings.

blammogarage

Postby blammogarage » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 pm

Got the rings today. They are actually a 3 piece set, not just a single ring. Nice surprise. Taking them down to my machine shop Monday morning.

teener
Isuzu vehicle(s): 82 Chevy LUV Long Bed Diesel

Postby teener » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:26 pm

Nice! I'm calling him today. Are they Chinese knock off or a recognizable brand?

DieselJeep

Postby DieselJeep » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:05 am

I am not trying to thread hijack, but was there any Australian chaps chiming in here? The reason I ask Is I CAN NOT find ANY REAL 4FB1 oversize pistons in the USA. For SOME reason rings are available. But the only pistons I find are incorrect G180Z oversize pistons(ala RockAuto). NOT 4FB1 correct, steel ring land 4FB1 diesel pistons.

The thought of both of my 2 4FB1's being junk after STD bore is extremely tapered doesn't sit well.
Unskilled, uneducated, inexperienced, tools/facilities lacking, and faint of heart, be warned:
All vehicles are hunks of crap. Designed by individuals, the majority of which, have never turned a wrench.
Which one do you want to fall in love with?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:49 am

Have you considered using liners?

Jack