Lifting a pup - troubleshooting

Whether it's up high or draggin', this is the place to discuss anything related to body and suspension modifications for street or offroad use.
OK!
Isuzu vehicle(s): Blue 82 pup 2.2L diesel 4x4 short bed

Lifting a pup - troubleshooting

Postby OK! » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:37 am

I’m in the process of raising my 82 p’up and reinforcing the suspension in the rear to hold up a camper, square tube rack and roofnest pop up tent.

So far I have installed bigger tires and new shocks.

I have cranked the torsion bars all the way up and the front end has lifted up a couple inches. I am going to fabricate a longer shackle for rear-end lift. To stiffen and accommodate the rear I plan to either get new leaf springs or add-a-leaf.

My questions are: will this leaf kit work with an 82 pup?
http://www.calmini.com/detail.php?b=3&m=10&t=2&p=928&n=

Will re-indexing the torsion bars provide more lift? In addition to that, should I also buy some new extended control arms to properly lift the front end? Calmini has some for 84 trooper as well.

Detailed pics coming soon.
Thanks guys
82 4wd 4spd diesel

OK!

Re: Lifting a pup - troubleshooting

Postby OK! » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:10 am

UPDATE!
Figured the rear lift out. Lots of free time with the virus...

Got an add-a-leaf from SD truck springs.
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31448

Hard work but ended up lifting the rear end a few inches!

782D997C-357D-45D1-8997-86CDDE89D20D.jpeg
Lowering springs...

CD07C276-7CE4-422C-9768-5225CF3522C2.jpeg
Add a leaf installed at bottom of leaf stack.

099E4646-3C32-4D90-AA61-624E3B19DE08.jpeg
Done!

For reference...my stock truck U-bolts had enough purchase left to install the add a leaf. I did not have to find new u-bolts. $50 for a 2.5” lift, not bad

Stay home and be safe every body!
82 4wd 4spd diesel

MrManly
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 P'up 4x4 DLX Diesel

Postby MrManly » Sun May 31, 2020 10:35 am

Thanks for the information. I tried lifting my 1983 P'up diesel 4x4 by installing longer shackles but ran into a nasty shimmy in first gear. The driveshaft had just been rebuilt with new u-joints and center bearing so I felt confident it wasn't the issue. I re-installed the stock shackles and the shimmy stopped.

I tried the link you included but the website appears to be down. Do you remember the brand and part number of the add-leaf you purchased? Thanks!

Halden
Isuzu vehicle(s): 83 Dsl LS Long Bed 4x4, 82 Dsl 2wd Short Bed 5 spd

Postby Halden » Sun May 31, 2020 2:32 pm

U bolts should always be replaced.

Never ever ever re-use them. I don't believe isuzu says to replace them in this application, but I would never chance it. Especially when they are 40 years old

OK! wrote:
For reference...my stock truck U-bolts had enough purchase left to install the add a leaf. I did not have to find new u-bolts. $50 for a 2.5” lift, not bad

Be safe. Put new u bolts on.
It's not pronounced "Ih-soo-zoo", it's pronounced "It-screws-you"
83 LS Long Box Dsl 4x4
82 Short Box Dsl 5 spd
64 Chevy C20 w/ 283 & 4 speed.
05 Sonata with a standard

OK!

Postby OK! » Sun May 31, 2020 2:36 pm

MrManly wrote:Thanks for the information. I tried lifting my 1983 P'up diesel 4x4 by installing longer shackles but ran into a nasty shimmy in first gear. The driveshaft had just been rebuilt with new u-joints and center bearing so I felt confident it wasn't the issue. I re-installed the stock shackles and the shimmy stopped.

I tried the link you included but the website appears to be down. Do you remember the brand and part number of the add-leaf you purchased? Thanks!

Link works on my end. Try just going to sdtrucksprings.com, and finding the drop down menu for Isuzu pup 82-84 and find the add-a-leaf kit, should only cost about 40-50 bucks for both sides. The part number it says is 13120 but that appears to be the same number for many other add a leaf kits. Anyway, the one I got was labeled “1975-1998 Chevy/GMC LUV Pickup, S10 Blazer - Pro Comp Add-A-Leaf Kit (1.5"-2.5" REAR Lift) [Pair - Short Leaf]”

Be prepared to cut the centering pin down to length and all that. You might have to unhook your hydraulic brake cable mount temporarily too. Good luck! It gave my truck quite a bit of lift. I was surprised
82 4wd 4spd diesel

OK!

Postby OK! » Sun May 31, 2020 2:38 pm

Halden wrote:U bolts should always be replaced.

Never ever ever re-use them. I don't believe isuzu says to replace them in this application, but I would never chance it. Especially when they are 40 years old

OK! wrote:

Be safe. Put new u bolts on.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll order some right now (truck is currently out of commission due to clutch issue anyway). I’m new to all this and did not know that !
82 4wd 4spd diesel

MrManly
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1983 P'up 4x4 DLX Diesel

Postby MrManly » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:40 pm

OK! wrote:
MrManly wrote:Thanks for the information. I tried lifting my 1983 P'up diesel 4x4 by installing longer shackles but ran into a nasty shimmy in first gear. The driveshaft had just been rebuilt with new u-joints and center bearing so I felt confident it wasn't the issue. I re-installed the stock shackles and the shimmy stopped.

Link works on my end. Try just going to , and finding the drop down menu for Isuzu pup 82-84 and find the add-a-leaf kit, should only cost about 40-50 bucks for both sides. The part number it says is 13120 but that appears to be the same number for many other add a leaf kits. Anyway, the one I got was labeled “1975-1998 Chevy/GMC LUV Pickup, S10 Blazer - Pro Comp Add-A-Leaf Kit (1.5"-2.5" REAR Lift) [Pair - Short Leaf]”

Be prepared to cut the centering pin down to length and all that. You might have to unhook your hydraulic brake cable mount temporarily too. Good luck! It gave my truck quite a bit of lift. I was surprised

Thanks for the info and tips on the centering pin. I was able to open the link with the Chrome browser so apparently sdtrucksprings.com doesn't like the Opera browser I normally use.