c223 vacuum pump problem

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
bizz80
Isuzu vehicle(s): isuzu trooper

c223 vacuum pump problem

Postby bizz80 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:29 pm

hi,
my trooper having a vacuum pump problem. when the engine is cold the vacuum pump creating enough vacuum (around 23inHg), but as the engine got hoter, the vacuum started to drop to around 5-7inHg. i've change the vacuum pump to another one (used but it was working fine from another alternator), but the problem still arise. i've notice that the oil from the oil feed line only driping with oil when hot, instead of gushing out when the engine was cold. is the oil feed line clogged? can this be the cause for the drop in vacuum?

dorf

Re: c223 vacuum pump problem

Postby dorf » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:20 pm

I've been following this for a few days..no response
Are you taking a vac reading straight off the pump
The brake vac booster could be your problem if line tied in somewhere else
Oil FLEX line if leaking needs to be replaced
That's all I got. Maybe someone else will chime in

Line available from Jerry lemond...this site

bizz80

Postby bizz80 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:23 am

i'm taking the vac reading straight off the pump, and the flex oil line was not leaking.

thx for the reply.

FiatSpider2

Postby FiatSpider2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:42 am

The oil feed line to the vacuum pump should have enough flow to drain all the oil from the engine in a minute or so and I do not believe it has a thermostat to restrict its flow when the engine gets hot. I would start there and find out why the flow gets reduced like that since lack of oil could reduce that paddle pumps efficiency along with cause it to wear out prematurely.
FiatSpider2 (4FB1 Isuzu Diesel powered 1978 Fiat Spider)

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 am

If its a turbo trooper, isn't there a chance the turbo is somehow robbing most of the oil supply going to the vacuum pump?

bizz80

Postby bizz80 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:12 am

yeah, seem like the oil feed line. just check it again. engine running, the i open the banjo bolt on the vacuum pump and no oil. so open the banjo bolt on the engine side, start the engine, and the oil just flowing out and lost a lot of oil in seconds. i got curious, cause the banjo bolt hole on the engine doesn't seems to align properly. then when i tried to install it back, it snap and broke. i hope changing this banjo bolt fix the problem, cause i just change the flex oil line about two month ago.
Last edited by bizz80 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bizz80

Postby bizz80 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:13 am

puttputtinpup wrote:If its a turbo trooper, isn't there a chance the turbo is somehow robbing most of the oil supply going to the vacuum pump?

it's an NA motor. so no turbo, yet :D