oil filter failure c223t

The place to discuss problems and routine maintenance questions and tips. This is for topics that are specifically diesel-related.
acer

oil filter failure c223t

Postby acer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:42 pm

has anyone had problems with Napa 1091 oil filters? i have a 1986 trooper diesel w turbo and have had turbo bearing failure and have checked oil pressure at sending unit and at turbo supply line. had low pressure at turbo (<20 lbs). have 80 lbs at sending unit. i took the fitting out of the block where the turbo and vacuum pump are supplied from and found the hole in block was plugged with an orange colored silicone looking flat material in several pieces. took the oil filter off and compared it to a new one and found the new one has the above mentioned orange colored material in the bottom of the new filter, a anti drainback valve i guess. I have to ask how in the world did that orange thing get through the the filter into the oil passage and end up where it did? could there be something else to look for that would cause this or did i get a bad filter? sorry to ramble but i hate destroying hard to find parts. thanks for your help

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: oil filter failure c223t

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:51 pm

My truck uses the smaller (1981-1983 style) filters, so they're different from yours. But I've never known of a bad NAPA Gold filter. That's what I use now, partly because of the silicone anti-drainback flap.

Jack

acer

Postby acer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:26 pm

i should clarify i was a NAPA jobber for 16 years im not bashing NAPA/WIX filters im just trying to troubleshoot
this as its kinda weird with what ive found so far. thanks

joeshmoe44883

Postby joeshmoe44883 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Once it leaves the filter it goes into the oil gallery. There's holes drilled through the block and into the main bearings. Between cylinder 2 and 3 is a larger hole going across the block and feeds the vacuum pump/ turbo. These 2 things use more oil than the main bearings, a fluid travels the path of least resistance so it got sucked into that hole. At least you found the problem, hope there isn't any in the tiny oil holes in the turbo. The only way you'll probably find out what happened is if you cut the filter apart.
2 86 Trooper II diesels, one 4 door the other 2, both projects.
86 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer with factory 2.1L turbo diesel.
05 Jeep Liberty Limited with 2.8L diesel (totaled)
06 Chevy Silverado with duramax
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee ecodiesel

acer

Postby acer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:15 pm

thanks Joe, i usually don't get lucky enough to be able to pull that stuff out where i did
and also in the back of mind has been what about main bearing feed holes? but i like what your saying about the
oil going there first because of the larger hole to that passage.and i am going to dissect a filter to see what happened.
thanks for everything

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 pm

Just a tip on posting: don't use your "enter" (or "return") key at the end of any lines. New lines automatically "wrap" around. It will be easier to read that way.

Jack

acer

Postby acer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:03 am

okay ive been back on this trooper project again and I've cut the oil filter apart that was on it.i found nothing wrong with it, it had a black anti-drain back flap in it. so the orange flap i found had to come from a previous oil filter(amazing this didn't seize everything up)but i see no way that flap can get from where it is in the filter assembly into the center of the filter thus the oil galley, unless that flap was misplaced when manufacturing the filter. i don't know if im thinking right but that's what I've found. I have a question on the 1091 napa oil filter it comes with a small o-ring packaged in the box with the filter, is that used on this application or not. i don't see where it go if it is used. thanks for the info

acer

Postby acer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 am

pic of flap from oil filter
IMG_20131029_182444_755.jpg

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:11 am

I wonder if the oil got real hot due to a clogged oil cooler thermostat and broke down the flap material. The thermostat sits behind the head and has a hose running in one end, and out the other towards the oil filter base (the cooler). The o-ring should go around the center piece of the filter base.

acer

Postby acer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 am

thanks for the suggestion putt,i will investigate that as well,would that small oil cooler really have that much affect on eng oil temp?

puttputtinpup

Postby puttputtinpup » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:05 pm

would that small oil cooler really have that much affect on eng oil temp?
I think that it would if circulation were clogged. I can safely quote Jerry Lemond. He stated that the oil cooler thermostat can safely be removed w/o any problems with the system.