Alternative Fuels Roll Call

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
crazyyth

Re: Alternative Fuels Roll Call

Postby crazyyth » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 am

b100 in pup and in 04 vw passat tdi in summer, switch to b30 in winter, subsidize with diesel as needed
1986 Isuzu P'up spacecab turbodiesel 4x4 5speed
1995 F350 Crewcab longbed 4x4 5 speed
2004 VW Passat TDI GLS

eman36a

Postby eman36a » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Been running WVO in an old Greasel two tank system since Sept 2004 in an 86 Trooper.

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Postby Tigman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:39 am

Include me in the roll call up yonder for now I am successfully burning SVO via my fabricated two tank sys. This setup is in my "85" S10 factor diesel, what an excellent time to be up and running as I look for fuel prices to skyrocket under this blundering situation in the gulf. Only to be made worse by our inept leaders in DC.

George

Postby George » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:41 am

I've been running anywhere up to b100 in the 86 Trooper for about 3 years now. It's homebrew and it seems to be working. I'd like to do a two tank system in the future.
George
02 Jetta TDI
86 Trooper

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Postby Tigman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:07 am

I've noticed my engine has more diesel clatter while idling on WVO. On this subject, I just had a very interesting conversation with natural born Englishman that grew up working on ocean vessels while at sea that his father owned. These ships were (are) power by enormous true diesel engines that burn crude oil. He explaind to me that the fuel and engine had to be preheated before starting, also that diesel fuel has a "specific gravity" or weight and that all IPs are designed based on that "specific gravity". These conditions were constantly monitored and adjusted to optimum paramiters. All of this greatly affects the amount of fuel being injected into the cylinders, timing, ignition etc. Alot of this techical info borders on being over my head however I'm sure Paul or someone more knowledgeable can better explain this. The point being that it is critical to have the WVO going into the IP at or about the ideal "specific gravity" (to match that of diesel fuel) which I understand is accomplished by having the oil heated to the correct temperature. I hope I've got this right reflecting back on our conversation. I intend to spend a little more time with this person to further educate myself on the subject which I find quite interesting. Hopefully this will allow me to improve the long term performance and durability of my engine and IP. Feel free to expand on this subject, I'm realizing that it is more technical and important than one may initially think.

Slainer

Postby Slainer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Tigman I wish I also understood more about the technology you speak of. Lean all you can from your friend sounds like he really has a good understanding about diesels, and then maybe pass it along to us. :D

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:32 pm

I think Clair (Tigman) is right, and the folks at frybrid.com have some good info on that subject...but let's not get too technical here. I think this thread is to try and get the alternative fuel users to check in and be counted.

Jack

rjm

Postby rjm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:24 pm

While reading Clair's account I was thinking she meant "viscosity", as in the frybrid link Jack gave, and not "specific gravity". But in ships it might be. The specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to water. So a higher specific gravity would have more power per cc, or cubic inch, or gal, and the IP would have to account for that.

That oil the big marine diesels burn can be much heavier (higher specific gravity, and higher viscosity for that matter) than regular #2 diesel. Back in the day I recall Bunker C being basically tar--had to melt the stuff before they burned it. Not sure if it was used in diesels, as opposed to boilers.

Riley
1984 P'up, 5 speed
2wd long bed diesel
Just turned 70K!

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:31 pm

rjm wrote:While reading Clair's account I was thinking she meant "viscosity", as in the frybrid link Jack gave, and not "specific gravity". But in ships it might be. The specific gravity is the ratio of the density of a substance to water. So a higher specific gravity would have more power per cc, or cubic inch, or gal, and the IP would have to account for that.

That oil the big marine diesels burn can be much heavier (higher specific gravity, and higher viscosity for that matter) than regular #2 diesel. Back in the day I recall Bunker C being basically tar--had to melt the stuff before they burned it. Not sure if it was used in diesels, as opposed to boilers.

Riley
I noticed the difference too, but I suspect there is at least an indirect relationship between the two. And I think Clair is a "he".

Jack

rjm

Postby rjm » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:39 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:I noticed the difference too, but I suspect there is at least an indirect relationship between the two. And I think Clair is a "he".

Whoops! Sorry about that Clair! I wasn't sure and guessed. :oops:

And yes, the higher the specific gravity the greater the viscosity, all things being equal. But (I think--could be wrong) vo and dino-oil are two different birds, and could have the same specific gravity but different viscosities. VO does put out a little less power=mpg (10%?) so it may well be VO has a lower sg and higher viscosity.

Riley
1984 P'up, 5 speed
2wd long bed diesel
Just turned 70K!

wvofedpup

Postby wvofedpup » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Ive got an 85 , started running wvo at 380,000 miles, now over 418,000. Running a two tank setup built from a mercedes 300d fuel tank, a 16 plate flat heat exchanger and frybrid style valves. One of the valves finnaly gave out on me so i guess im going to see whats new on the market since i built this setup nearly 3 years ago. I built about 15 systems for other people before getting out of the business, my belief is now if you cant put it together yourself you will never learn enough about it to keep it functioning properly, I got tired of people calling me on the side of the road because it was time for a filter change and they couldnt remember how to do it. Just got my pup back on the road after a year and a half, in the longest timing belt change ever, but with a few other cars there really wasn't a rush. Been back in it for two weeks now and forgot how much i love the truck, and even more so now that the A/C is charged up again.
85 diesel pup. 413k miles.

spiritrancho

Postby spiritrancho » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:35 am

The bunker oil we burned in the steam ships I sailed was heated to 240 deg. F before pumping to the burners. The diesel tug I sailed would shft to a blended fuel after manuvering. I do not recall the ratio of the blend or temp to the IP but it did use steam from the auxillary boiler so it waqs more than coolant tempature.
84 pup & dodge ram on biodiesel

kravdraa

Postby kravdraa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:52 am

Wow, 240 F steam heated oil...that must have been quite interesting.
Best wishes,
Eric
81 Long bed PuP 2.2 Diesel
Using Bio-D

bellavesus

Postby bellavesus » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:20 am

ive been running WVO in my 86 trooper with the 4jb1t engine since this past december. ran across the states through the blizzards and had to blend with dino to keep from clogging the aux fuel pump. i have since insulated it, and come this fall i will make a space blanket for the veg tank so there shouldnt be any issues, if i drive west again.

i run a custom dual tank setup with a 26 plate FPHE (i think) right before the IP,monitored with a pressure and temp gauge on the outlet, then a coolant wrap around filter, 2 hydraforce valves one for supply-one fore return back by veg tank, HIH back to veg tank, with aluminum coolant line around pickup in tank. has a partial looped return, at the aux pump back by the veg tank. that tank sits where the stock dino tank used to, its a 17 gallon aluminum RCI tank. i installed a pup diesel tank in the pup stock location for the dino tank. have run several thousand miles now, did a big "coast to coast" ramble this winter, and i use a centrifuge setup to clean the oil. i have noticed its not quite as peppy on veg oil, it drives more like a diesel truck! i get around 160 degrees consistent temp for the oil before it goes into the engine. more when its idling, less when im coasting down long grades and ambient temperature does affect it some. i am planning on a more mobile filtering rig, with cleanable stainless steel filters powered by some sort of 12v motor and gear pump business. havent gotten all the details worked out yet-the 55 gall drum centrifuge trailer setup is BIGger than i need, for mobile, and takes a considerable amount of time if you are picky like me in getting the fuel totally polished.
86 Trooper, now with 4JB1TC!
89 Trooper, 2.223t swap

Slainer

Postby Slainer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:40 pm

bellavesus wrote:ive been running WVO in my 86 trooper with the 4jb1t engine since this past december. ran across the states through the blizzards and had to blend with dino to keep from clogging the aux fuel pump. i have since insulated it, and come this fall i will make a space blanket for the veg tank so there shouldnt be any issues, if i drive west again.

i run a custom dual tank setup with a 26 plate FPHE (i think) right before the IP,monitored with a pressure and temp gauge on the outlet, then a coolant wrap around filter, 2 hydraforce valves one for supply-one fore return back by veg tank, HIH back to veg tank, with aluminum coolant line around pickup in tank. has a partial looped return, at the aux pump back by the veg tank. that tank sits where the stock dino tank used to, its a 17 gallon aluminum RCI tank. i installed a pup diesel tank in the pup stock location for the dino tank. have run several thousand miles now, did a big "coast to coast" ramble this winter, and i use a centrifuge setup to clean the oil. i have noticed its not quite as peppy on veg oil, it drives more like a diesel truck! i get around 160 degrees consistent temp for the oil before it goes into the engine. more when its idling, less when im coasting down long grades and ambient temperature does affect it some. i am planning on a more mobile filtering rig, with cleanable stainless steel filters powered by some sort of 12v motor and gear pump business. havent gotten all the details worked out yet-the 55 gall drum centrifuge trailer setup is BIGger than i need, for mobile, and takes a considerable amount of time if you are picky like me in getting the fuel totally polished.

You should look into the sbc oil pump mated to a scooter motor. I am in the middle of building one for a collection pump. Some one has one on utube look under WVO pump.