Diesel HPR

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
tqcspup

Diesel HPR

Postby tqcspup » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:10 pm

Anyone ever hear of or try Diesel HPR? It's not biodiesel, but it's made out of the same stuff biodiesel would be made out of (recycled oils)
'84 Pup Diesel 5-sp, 2WD, SB

ToughLUV
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1982 Chevy LUV Diesel

Re: Diesel HPR

Postby ToughLUV » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:26 pm

I use HPR in my Luv and it works great. I also use it in my chevette. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. I do live in a mild climate so I cant say how it holds up in colder climes.

Dinger95
Isuzu vehicle(s): started as a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo / Passport / Frontera (UCS7VF)

Re: Diesel HPR

Postby Dinger95 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:49 am

That sounds like they fully hydrogenate the oils (think making margarine from vegetable oil) then crack them to shorten the average chain length to near petro-diesel spec.
So no trans-esterification like in biodiesel, which adds 1 or 2 C to the oil based on if you are using Ethanol or Methanol.

I often thought if something like that would work, as fully hydrogenated oils don't have as much oxidation issues (drying) as partially hydrogenated oils.
The issue for homemade would be finding a small-scale batch cracker unit and distilling out the wanted chain lengths, hydrogenation on DIY scale is pretty accessible.

Looks like the Diesel HPR is currently only a west-coast thing ...
-- Dinger95