Veggie or bio?

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
newpup
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1986 SpaceCab Pu'p gaser converted to diesel with 1981 C223, 1986 Trooper diesel with 3rd gen. rods

Veggie or bio?

Postby newpup » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I bought a little over 400 gallons of Wesson oil at a salvage auction. That means I either have a years supply of fuel or four lifetimes of cooking oil! There must not have been any other diesel owners at the auction, I got it for about $.25/ gallon (Yep, bragging).
Two questions:

1) Should I use a 50/50 mix of veggie oil and diesel or start making small batches of bio-diesel? The oil is unused, but has an expired date. It is a blend of cottonseed oil and canola oil.

2) About how much/ gallon does it cost to turn this into bio-diesel?

Thanks

arrowmntdiesel

Re: Veggie or bio?

Postby arrowmntdiesel » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:02 pm

That was a great "heads Up" purchase! Brings a smile to my face. :D

For Me,,,,, best value would be a straight mix of your choice with diesel fuel. Simple and value added!

Thanks for sharing.

Mark
AAS degree Diesel Technology 2014, 10 yrs Isuzu Pup diesels. Owner: Arrow-Mountain Diesel services & Arrow-Mnt Windows, Medford, OR. Love God! One Marriage-One Wife, 2 awesome young ladies as my kids. Happily Married for 25+ years. One Blessed Man!

Dog

Postby Dog » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:27 pm

If you only have 400 gallons with out a furture supply I would say blend it. or trade to someone that makes biodiesel. To make biodiesel you will need a processor, buy or build. You will need some chemicals, poisonous. You will need a place to do this, Not the garage on your house. You will have a waste product to do something with, about 5 gallons for every 20 gallons of fuel. It cost me about $1.25 to $1.50 a gallon plus a lot of work. It is not really a money thing, I like doing things like this. If you make long trips another option is a two tank system I really like that better than blending.
This site has a lot of good info . http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums

..............Dog
"When an event is difficult to imagine, we tend to underestimate its likelihood"......Robert N. Stavins

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:09 pm

This is interesting. I've passed on some expired cooking oil in the past because I didn't know if mixing 50/50 with diesel is all there is to it. Are additives recommended? Is veggie oil mix ok in cold weather?
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

iPupGary

Postby iPupGary » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:36 pm

Newpup,

Here is my two cents worth.

First of all, you should see how much water is in that oil. Take a frying pan and smear a small amount of the oil on the bottom of the pan. Heat up the pan. When you see the oil smoke, the pan is around 317 degrees F. Another alternative is to take a infrared thermal gun (sold at Harbor Freight).

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=infrared+thermal+gun

Slowly pour a baby food jar of the sample oil in the heated pan. If the oil sizzles or crackles it has way too much water in the oil. If you see any air bubbles it still has too much water. The oil should be virtually bubble free.

You can mix 50/50 in the summer and 20 (veg)/80 (diesel) in the winter. The actual mixture rate is really determine by the coldest temperature you are planning to start the truck. Start out with a light mixture. Test the cold start condition and up the mixture (more veggie) until the truck is too hard to start. Then back off to a mixture you can live with. The mixture will obviously change with the seasons.

You should also consider draining your diesel tank to ensure there is no residual water in the tank. If there is any partially hydrogenated oils or any solids in your veggie, the water in the tank will be absorbed by the veggie and most likely plug your fuel filter. Run your diesel tank close to empty and then drain. Also it would be a good idea to drain your water separator at the bottom of your fuel filter as well.

Always have a spare fuel filter in your back seat with all the necessary tools to replace the filter on the road. For long trips, take more filters.

Also keep in mind that veggie doesn't like steel fuel tanks. If stored for long periods of time the steel will cause the oil to polymerize (turn it to paint) and will plug your filter and you may be forced to drain and clean your tank out of the gunk. Ideally it would be best to have Aluminium, stainless steel or a plastic tank. If you decide to use your steel tank, keep it as full as possible. Less air the fuel is exposed to the fewer the problems.

I like the idea of trading the oil for bio-diesel.

Good luck.

-Gary
1982 Chevy Luv 2wd short bed diesel w/ veggie conversion (under construction)
1999 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L Gas

mdawg62
Isuzu vehicle(s): 1979 Chevy Luv Mikado

Postby mdawg62 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:29 pm

Forgive my newbie two cents worth guys. I haven't made "the change"yet , but I do know of several people successfully running two tank systems on straight used oil . Their biggest problem besides a dependable volume source of oil , has been finding the patience to let it sit for extended periods prior to filtering. Most of them run tank heaters for those times when the southern climate takes a dip. They start on diesel , switch to veggie, then back to diesel prior to shutdown. Check out Cactus Bob on YouTube. He has a fleet of older vehicles running on settled, well filtered, and rotated used oil. I think you'll appreciate his methods and homemade filter and pump system. No chemicals,no refining,no extra expense. Just sweat equity and patience.