CNG compressed natural gas

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
badhabits

CNG compressed natural gas

Postby badhabits » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Does anyone have any experience ,or comment on using CNG on a 4cylinder?(2.6 Isuzu) Mywork truck is an 09 GMC 6.0, it runs on gasoline and /or CNG. It runs well on CNG, getting around 11mpg. We have our own filling station at work, which i have acess to if i have a vehicle converted. The cost is just under $1.00 per gallon. There are several companies in my area using CNG, but mostly on v8 work van and trucks. I am weighing the cost of doing the conversion,but dont have any feedback from anyone using CNG on a smaller engine.-Andy
86 Diesel spacecab, 86 spacecab4x4 gasser,82 rabbit diesel pu

Pupfriend

Re: CNG compressed natural gas

Postby Pupfriend » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 am

Hi Andy,
Hope everything is going well in Arkansas. There are several people using propane here in their off-road vehicles. They report plugs, etc lasting longer, oil staying nicer, etc. You have to make special provisions to turn the fuel off in case of an upset as the engine will keep running merrily along upside down, underwater, etc. as long as it has air and lubrication...I have a friend who gets every towmotor/lift truck of these systems as they arrive in the salvage yards he has access to.

But, the above was propane.

I got interested in this also a couple of years ago when CNG prices were falling, plants were switching from coal to CNG because of costs instead of regs....
Honda mfg'd a Civic GX (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_GX) that was set up for CNG from the get-go. I called the local dealer and they had never seen one (or apparently heard about it) at that point. Seem like the compressor assembly for home use was around $7K also, but there was a Federal tax credit that paid around $5K of it if it's still available. Hey, if you can get fuel at work w/o hassles and you're in range, I see it as a win/win. If you're wanting to go to FL in it, that's another story....

Let me know how you're doing
Eddie

PS: still seeing a few cab plus trucks in junkyards occasionally if you need parts... :)
1986 SWB 5spd diesel P'up (sold)
1981 2dr Auto LS I-Mark diesel (need windshield);
198? 4dr Auto gas I-Mark (parts);
91(sold) and 94 Isuzu 2.3 p/u(daily driver);
'87 1.9L LS Pup;
A few Nissan SD22 diesel engine parts,

OzarkDaredevil
Isuzu vehicle(s): '81 Luv diesel 4x4

Postby OzarkDaredevil » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:19 pm

When I worked at a Conway dealership we did a lot of CNG conversions. Lots of fracking in that area. I once did the math and if I recall correctly it required something like 200,000 miles to recoup initial conversion costs. But being that the vehicles were full-size V8 trucks I don't know how it translates for 4-bangers.
Tom
'81 4x4 diesel LUV - daily driver

trooper T/diesel

Postby trooper T/diesel » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:40 pm

ive though about CNG but its like unobtanium with in about 100 miles of the place, other then one GOV pump behind a fence.
and no its not available at are house....

ive thought about LPG as its available in the area, but the price is all over the map, $1.79 to $4.50 depending on the season, location and brand name...

if i have a tank on the place and order the min of 200 gal in SEP it would be around that $1.79/$1.99 mark
25% loss in mpg is about worst case, so....
that takes a.
20 mpg 4wd pup to 15
or a 30 mpg 2wd pup to 22.5

so...to go 300 miles in a 4wd on LP at 15 mpg it would be $40 versus $60 on $4.00 gas
to go 300 miles in a 2wd on LP at 22.5 mpg it would be $26.66 versus $40 on $4.00 gas

i used $2.00 a gal for the LP price..
gas at $3.00 and LP at $2.00 is the brake even point...
soot fart wrote:if god had intended for us to drive automatics, he wouldn't have given us two feet

rust free frame 1981 4wd luv for sale no engine\trans Cliky to see

hearsthe
weather forecast for NW OR
10 Commandments of Hypermiling

Pupfriend

Postby Pupfriend » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:22 am

David,
Regular pump gas 87 oct w/~10 ethanol is $2.47/gal here yesterday.....

So, gas is cheaper than CNG right now? (Not counting all the other equip. needed?)

Eddie in AL
1986 SWB 5spd diesel P'up (sold)
1981 2dr Auto LS I-Mark diesel (need windshield);
198? 4dr Auto gas I-Mark (parts);
91(sold) and 94 Isuzu 2.3 p/u(daily driver);
'87 1.9L LS Pup;
A few Nissan SD22 diesel engine parts,

Darby

Postby Darby » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:28 pm

The U.S. mail trucks here run off gasoline AND some kind of gas, (LP, propane or CNG) don't know which. Changes from one to the other with the flip of a switch.
Original owner of a 1993 Isuzu pick up, 2.3 engine, 5 speed with power steering and air conditioning. All original except the radio (still have factory radio).
It's cheaper to fix what you have than to buy someone else's problems.

QuantumRift

Postby QuantumRift » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:52 pm

CNG is the way to go. Your engine will love it and you will not have to do all those oil changes (saving money) as the oil will not dirty up as fast. If you have access to a method to fill 'er up, it's wonderful. Here's how to do it at home:

http://www.cngnow.com/vehicles/refuelin ... -home.aspx
"When he drives a new car off the lot, it increases in value."
"His word IS his passport."

1990 LS SpaceCab 4x4 2.6L (Manufactured in Japan, September 1989)
206,000 miles. Owned since 15 miles. Paid $15K, Oct 1989.