Burning SVO / WVO Compared to true BIO-diesel

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
tnilc99

Burning SVO / WVO Compared to true BIO-diesel

Postby tnilc99 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:13 pm

This General information statement is for everyone whom utilizes straight vegatable oil as a fuel.
Fellows I have been involved in the bio-diesel program since October of 2005.
Back in that time frame bio fuel production was in the Pioneering Stage, with the exception of Ethanol.
My total experience with bio-diesel consists of over 350,000 miles of driving using B-100, that is pure
100 % bio-diesel. The testing time started in Janurary of 2006 until now.
The issues that I see dealing with burning straight vegatable oil is the build up of unburned Glycerin concentrated
within the oil, also known as FFA;s (Free Fatty Acids).
People whom I have tracked data from who uses this process has reported that after 10 to 15 thousand miles
had to dismantle the exhaust system to remove what became glycerin sludge, which restricts and plugs up
the exhaust system. Reason being is it takes 2000 degrees and higher to fully burn off the glycerin by product
of the oil.
My whole Point here is if your going to support the bio-fuel sector, then do it right... Turn the oil into true
bio-diesel. It is actually 100 times better for your engine than petro diesel. Petro diesel is just like kerosene
when it is produced from crude oil. The Oil companies have to add detergents to it for lubricity or lubricant.
Not to mention they also have to go through extreme purification to remove or lower the sulfur content to meet
emission standards. Bio has 0 % sulfur and has 300 times more lubricating potential than diesel at the pump.
The really kool thing about Bio fuels is that they are 100 % renewable and never become depleted.
Ok this is just my 2 cents worth of input so, Happy New Year to everyone.

Tnilc99

jerryfreak

Re: Burning SVO / WVO Compared to true BIO-diesel

Postby jerryfreak » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:43 am

i agree with most of this (except the part about biodiesel being experimental in 05, there was an ASTM spec long before that)

i also run biodiesel and not SVO. probably close to half a million miles in our fleet (and millions of miles on fuel ive made and sold to customers)

i recall reading way back when, an emission analysis by some major outfit that said that wvo burns fine **if it is completely heated** (i.e. 180-200F). if its not completely heated prior to injection you will suffer the fouling you describe.

as for your data i dont doubt it. I would imagine a huge variety of operating conditions (and 'fuel' quality to start). There are people who run wvo successfully - otherwise companies like elsbett etc wouldnt be in business (and they are huge in europe). for every one of these success stories there is someone with a crudded up engine

the reason i dont endorse wvo as a fuel is not necessarily the compatibility/coking, but rather i know what wvo looks like as we collect a few hundred thousand gallons a year. youd be amazed what we find in containers. There simply isnt a spec for it as opposed to ASTM biodiesel which will perform reproducibly in an engine

i mean, im running b50 all winter on a single tank, in my widfe and I's stock vw tdis with zero issues. weve had temps as low as zero nights/high of 20 here last month.

biodiesel really is an amazing fuel if used correctly. and for those who argue 'well youre 'wasting' all that glycerin.... on a commercial scale there is no shortage of people lined up ready to pay you 10 cents a pound for it to be used in other industry, nothing is wasted...

tnilc99

Postby tnilc99 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:05 am

Hello Jerry, and thanks for your reply, I always enjoy talking to someone who has dealt with the bio-fuel industry.
I may be interested in the remark you made about people waiting in line to pay 10 cents a pound for the
glycerin. Do you have any contacts I may use to help make good use of this by product?

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:31 am

I also agree. I've been using biodiesel since 2007 and now produce it commercially per ASTM D6751 spec at my 9-5 job. I looked DEEP into WVO systems and … I know some folks love it and swear by it, but personally straight WVO is not something I would ever run in an engine I cared about.
Another big issue with plant oils under extreme heat and pressure is that it will polymerize and start slowly gumming things up. Biodiesel on the other hand is an excellent solvent and helps keep the engine and fuel system components nice and clean.
Straight WVO also has a much lower average cetane than even ULSD petrol…where biodiesel on the other hand is MUCH higher than ULSD. Our batches are tested routinely and generally hit around 56 Cetane. Running high cetane fuel in an old diesel….and your ears will immediately hear the difference. Older diesel engines run way smoother with high cetane fuel.
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 am

Also….you may get .10 a pound if you have the capability of refining the crude glycerol through demethylating it, however many commercial production facilities do not have this capability. If the crude glycerol has methanol still in, then the going rate is a little less; around .06 cents a pound.
We have the capability to demethlyate glycerol but in fact choose not to due to the extra labor, additional boiler fuel consumed for heat, and general pain in the *** factor. We've found effort vs that extra .04 is just not worth it.
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

jerryfreak

Postby jerryfreak » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:41 am

Piedmont rocks my face off, btw....

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Wed May 21, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks so much jerryfreak! It rocks mine off too :)
We're hosting CBC this year. If you can make it to NC, come party with us.