getting ready for my first WVO conversion.

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
indogwetrust88

getting ready for my first WVO conversion.

Postby indogwetrust88 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 pm

Hey folks,

I'm getting ready to do a WVO conversion soon and I am looking for a heating system to hook up to an alternator.
The alternator that came stock on my 85 diesel pup has a short somewhere inside,( today I checked the continuity of the E and F terminals with a voltmeter and there was no continuity). So the question is, will the stock alternator on my 85pup provide enough voltage to power a fuel heater that is sufficient for warming WVO?

If so, I will disassemble my alternator and try and find and fix the short. If not, I will look into buying a new alternator that will do the job. Any suggestions?

I guess a new alternator will have to power my vacuum pump, (unless the vacuum pup is mechanical, like my current one) , heat the veggie oil, and return current to the battery? Is that a clear assumption? Any help would be great. Thanks.
1985 Isuzu P'up
2.2L Diesel Longbed
2wd

iPupGary

Re: getting ready for my first WVO conversion.

Postby iPupGary » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Isuzu makes a 40 amp and a 50 amp alt. If you replace it, up grade to the 50 Amp so you have a little more capacity to run a dual glow plug inline heater if you choose. I use my electric heater to reduce my switch over times. It takes my Flat Plate Heat Exchanger (FPHE) about 15 minutes to fully warm the veggie oil in the winter time from a cold start. The electric heater reduces that to about 5 minutes. That's about a 3 to 1 advantage which means your effective fuel mileage will be boosted 3 times as well. This is only true if you get your WVO for free.

I found a new alternator on eBay (50Amp). It wasn't a cheap date though. Do a search and you should come up with something.

-gary
1982 Chevy Luv 2wd short bed diesel w/ veggie conversion (under construction)
1999 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L Gas

Andys52Willys

Postby Andys52Willys » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:55 pm

indogwetrust88:

I've done the same conversion as Gary witht he dual glow plug heater. It works awesome.

I have a in the box, remanufactured 50 amp alternator for the truck with a vacuum pump etc. I'd sell it for $170 + shipping

Send me a PM if you are interested, and I'll get it on its way.
1981 Chevrolet Luv 4WD Turbo Diesel Running a Greasecar WVO kit [now Goners]
Far to many Willys Jeeps and old Bicycles

Andys52Willys

Postby Andys52Willys » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Hey Mat,

I went to the post office to get some estimates for you.

Priority Mail would be there by Wednesday if I shipped today for $41, comes with tracking and $50 of insurance.

Parcel Post would be $30 and would be there a week from today.

You can choose, and just add it to the $170, and we'll make it happen.

Also, can you be sure to include your last name in a reply, I had to scrounge the forum for your first :-), didn't know who I was talking to.

Best,
Andy
1981 Chevrolet Luv 4WD Turbo Diesel Running a Greasecar WVO kit [now Goners]
Far to many Willys Jeeps and old Bicycles

Youngcummins

Postby Youngcummins » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:23 pm

If you aren't afraid of doing some custom fabricating i have a alternator off a 93 or so gmc jimmy and a mechanical vacuum pump that is belt driven on my s10. the vacuum pump setup is herehttp://www.isuzupup.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19790 the jimmy alternator is something like 105 amp so its over twice the alternator of any pup alternator.
My rig
1996 Ram 2500 Cummins, 414K miles
2000 S10 reg cab long bed with a 81 LUV c223 5 speed, the runt of the fleet, but the most driven.
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5sp, 53mpg!!!

indogwetrust88

Postby indogwetrust88 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks ya'll,
Sorry if it takes me a while to reply sometime. All the information has been a huge help. My partner checks the forum for me a lot and relays info to me, so that's partly why. Nonetheless, thanks. We'll be ordering an alternator from one of you soon.

Mat.
85 diesel Pup.
1985 Isuzu P'up
2.2L Diesel Longbed
2wd

indogwetrust88

Postby indogwetrust88 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:11 pm

Success! We ended up buying that alternator with vacuum pump from Andy and it went on like a charm. We knew we had a broken spline on our vacuum pump, too so that new pump has helped fix part our brake issues and I think the truck runs a little smoother. Thanks everyone! Now onto the next...
1985 Isuzu P'up
2.2L Diesel Longbed
2wd