bio diesel, heating water with wood stove heat

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
trooper T/diesel

bio diesel, heating water with wood stove heat

Postby trooper T/diesel » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 pm

as stated im looking at doing a bio room, ie added area on to the wood shed.
and using a electric or LPG hot water tank with a circulator set up with a heat exchanger on the stove. to boost the heating capacity of the water tank...
sorta like how are fire place has a water board in the back of it, to help boost the water temp for the oil furnace.

i figure having the stove in the same room as the fumes from the chemicals methanol and lye, :shock: :shock: would be a rather not so wise idea..... :!: :!:
so im trying to figure how far? like on the other side of a wall or 10/15/20 feet away? the farther i go the more heat ill loose, but at the same time i know the fumes from the chemicals are ((VERY)) flammable....

or i could locate the stove at one end and the reactor at the other end of the room that would make for something like 15 feet of space, as well as i plan on having at least 2 doors or more the ventilate when the chemicals are being used.

there is a 110V line in the ground but i figure its an old line and it has not ran in years.
after getting sticker shock at the store, im on the CL hunt for about 250/300 feet of 220V 10-2 line so i can run a hot water tank or a air compressor should i need it.
i haven't made my mind up on the LPG or electric tank yet. i just dont want to have to dig a 2nd dich... :roll:
soot fart wrote:if god had intended for us to drive automatics, he wouldn't have given us two feet

rust free frame 1981 4wd luv for sale no engine\trans Cliky to see

hearsthe
weather forecast for NW OR
10 Commandments of Hypermiling

gearbox

Re: bio diesel, heating water with wood stove heat

Postby gearbox » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:40 pm

I will keep a look out to the west and if I can see a big flash from MN then you were to close . best of luck with it keep us posted David .
Gearbox
81 sport 4x4 diesel [parts]
81 micado 4x4diesel
97 ford 250 7.3 4x4
9600 ford [135 hp tractor]
84 MPG rust over rust 2x4 [parts]
91 space cab soon to be married to above MPG

phil cottingham
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 s10 with 2.2 diesel

Postby phil cottingham » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:39 pm

David, If you know anyone that works for the local power company you might pick up some used wire that they have taken down somewhere. That's what I run my shop with about 200ft. from my house. Also keep an eye out for a building being torn down. They can have lots of useable wire. Phil

science

Postby science » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:36 pm

i don't see any problem with this as long as you use a wood stove, which you should because it's the most efficient method. Lye isn't explosive, it's just a strong base. Methanol is, but you knew that. Btw, more biodiesel producers aree using other catalysts with better production rates. I don't remember any but that's good cuz there was probably some non-disclousure statement involved. I always wanted to use a heat exchanger stuck in compost with a false bottom, but alas, i still have no acerage.
1981 Chevy Luv 2.2L Diesel -- on grease
1982 Isuzu P'up 2.2L Diesel

jerryfreak

Postby jerryfreak » Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:57 am

in our biodiesel plant out biodiesel fired boiler is 50 feet and a firewall away from an engineered room with active methanol moniotoring. i would not locate a combustion appliance in the same area as methanol. it is heavier than air and can form flammable concentration around the entire floor of a room. use hydronics and insulate the pipe and you will have little to no loss even at long distances. any other bd questions hit me up.

trooper T/diesel

Postby trooper T/diesel » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:54 am

WoW priced some wire just some run of the mill 10/2 stuff....... :shock: :shock: $200ish :shock: :shock:

my word, its IN-SANE expensive :!: :!:
no wonder copper theft is so bad... :(

just one more thing to hunt for on CL each night :lol: :lol: :lol:

its about 200' i figure best to run 220V and then split it at a box. lighting, pumps, drum heaters will add up to around 3,000W worst case.
then....
any one know if electric water tanks run the two elements at the same time or one at a time :?:
two 4,500W elements running makes for a rather massive power load. :!:
i could swap to one of the smaller sizes 3700 2750 or 110V 1500W

going with LPG or wood heat will drastically cut the power load..cuse 200' and a near 9,000w load is abit much for 10/2 let alone the other stuff. was thinking a 30A main breaker as 10/2 is rated for 30A
sadly, i think 8 AWG would be code with a 5% loss not 10 AWG :(

am i over thinking this, is 8AWG over kill??? is 10/2 OK?? for this sorta load?
or do i need to take a loan out, and get bigger wire then 8?

P.S.
im thinking copper wire in all this..
soot fart wrote:if god had intended for us to drive automatics, he wouldn't have given us two feet

rust free frame 1981 4wd luv for sale no engine\trans Cliky to see

hearsthe
weather forecast for NW OR
10 Commandments of Hypermiling

FlukeGE

Postby FlukeGE » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:57 pm

The elements are supposed to run one at a time.

Ryan
1986 Trooper Gen III
1999 with 4JG2 Coversion