Slow loss of power and hard(er) starting

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
science

Slow loss of power and hard(er) starting

Postby science » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:00 pm

I just did a bunch of work to my '81 LUV. I did the head gasket, changed the air filter, replaced the front brake calipers. And sent my injectors to Jlemond who cleaned/rebuilt them.

Since the head gasket job the truck has been running like a top, but I'm slowly loosing power and starting is noticably harder each time.

I've got a veg system on, but with only town driving to/from work, it never gets to temp, so i havn't been running it lately.

I just got around 8 gallons of biodiesel. I've been running it. i've run b100 before, with no negative effects. But now I'm starting to wonder if the b100 has finally gotten around to eating my fuel lines, and now I've got a clogged fuel filter.

Key in if you've got any ideas....thx
1981 Chevy Luv 2.2L Diesel -- on grease
1982 Isuzu P'up 2.2L Diesel

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Re: Slow loss of power and hard(er) starting

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:08 pm

All it takes is one little leak in a line, and it sucks air in. That would definitely cause hard starting and poor performance. Or, like you said--a clogged fuel filter could do the same.

Jack

gearbox

Postby gearbox » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:33 pm

when MN went to 5% bio we used fuel filters like crazy in our big trucks for a while . bio seems to clean the fuel system when you start to use it . fuel filter first?
Gearbox
81 sport 4x4 diesel [parts]
81 micado 4x4diesel
97 ford 250 7.3 4x4
9600 ford [135 hp tractor]
84 MPG rust over rust 2x4 [parts]
91 space cab soon to be married to above MPG

science

Postby science » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:14 pm

Jack, i've been reading other posts about holes in fuel lines, and all the symptoms add up, except for shoddy running (like a cylinder missing, or rough running), but i suppose it's safe to assume that it may be a small amount of air, and not creating a noticable difference in that regard.

Gearbox: Biodiesel is a great solvent and cleans everything it touches. It's great. Want a little line vertically down from your fuel cap or missing paint? Drip some biodiesel on it. Dog rolled in horse poop? Pour some biodiesel on it, or not really. But I figured that since I've been running biodiesel on and off since i bought the truck that it wouldn't be an issue....oh wait, i painted the head gasket before i put it in....i wonder if the biodiesel/air mixture in the cylinder is taking that off...maybe i should change the....

oil filter?

I also noticed that i'm loosing fuel. Knowing that I'm never heavy on the accelerator, it's got to be a leak, and not consumption. I think i'll be checking the fuel hoses and return lines presently (or once it cools off a bit outside).

Thx!
1981 Chevy Luv 2.2L Diesel -- on grease
1982 Isuzu P'up 2.2L Diesel