Second tank for wmo fuel

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
FlukeGE

Re: Second tank for wmo fuel

Postby FlukeGE » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:22 pm

Phil,

You could use a double tap tank fitting and then attach a pipe from that fitting that would extend up into the top of the tank (just like a fuel suction line but upside down). This is who I get them for my pick up lines, these are for a 2 inch bung but you can get smaller ones at a hydraulic stores. http://www.mcmaster.com/#iron-tank-fitt ... gs/=n0f792

Ryan
1986 Trooper Gen III
1999 with 4JG2 Coversion

iPupGary

Postby iPupGary » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:46 pm

arrowmntdiesel wrote:Phil,

In thinking about your question...., The return fuel is not pumped under pressure per say, but is pushed back by more unused fuel. If you have a full tank of fuel sitting on top of the return line, then at 8lbs/gal aprox., the pressure of the fuel is going to be pushing back against the return fuel. I can't imagine this being a good thing at all or one that would work.

Mark

Mark,

I remember having a conversation with JLemond and he said that the return line pressure is in the ball park of 2-3 PSI at best. Returning the fuel to the bottom of the tank is asking for trouble in my opinion. -Gary
1982 Chevy Luv 2wd short bed diesel w/ veggie conversion (under construction)
1999 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L Gas

iPupGary

Postby iPupGary » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:51 pm

luvcamas wrote:you should PM veggie nate or my brother Ipupgary and ask them about that tank. If I remember they use plastic tanks for WVO because of the acids in the oil and metal tanks are bad news. :(

The veggie oil polymerizes with certain types of metals. It basically turns it to paint. There are a lot of factors to determine if using a metal tank will be a problem for you. Time I think is the biggest issue. Plastic, aluminum and stainless are the best choices to use. Stainless is very expensive and heavy. Plastic or Aluminum is most practical.

Here is a good link that describes the problem:

http://www.burnveg.com/forum/polymeriza ... o-t40.html

-Gary

phil cottingham
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 s10 with 2.2 diesel

Postby phil cottingham » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Gary, I probably didn't make it clear but plan on using waste motor oil and atf not wvo. This shouldn't be a problem with it should it? Thanks , Phil

iPupGary

Postby iPupGary » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 pm

Oh sorry. My brother, LuvCamas, mentioned that someone was concerned about the veggie oil issue regarding the use of steel fuel tanks. I must of got the wrong thread. Yeah, shouldn't be a problem with petrol based fuels.

-Gary

luvrookie

Postby luvrookie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:48 am

Phil, I was curious to how the wmo and two tank system is working for you? I had a 92 dodge on 2 tank system but shared the same filter. Have you been able to keep the smoke at bay? I went 5 tanks on my pup before I had to pull the injectors and clean them. If I mess with oil again, I may try Epsom salt trick that a member named crossbones talked about. I've tried water-meth injection on my 96 dodge it wouldn't stop smoke or carboning of injectors. Just curious how your experience is going. Thanks Tony

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:51 pm

Tony, I haven't had any problems so far. I have been alternating tanks of straight diesel and the diesel/oil mix. Smoke is minimal. I think the key is to get your oil as clean as possible. I must have missed the Epson salt trick . What does it do. I also think atf and hydraulic fluid burn much cleaner.

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Postby Tigman » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:35 am

I also believe getting the oil as near 160 deg. and clean is equally important. I know a guy that recoups the mineral oil from large electrical transforms and burns it in his semi rigs and work trucks. They dispose of the transformers from large industrial applications etc. Ever of heard that?

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 am

Tigman wrote:I also believe getting the oil as near 160 deg. and clean is equally important. I know a guy that recoups the mineral oil from large electrical transforms and burns it in his semi rigs and work trucks. They dispose of the transformers from large industrial applications etc. Ever of heard that?

Eew, I hope it's not laden with PCBs.

Jack

Duck

Postby Duck » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:51 pm

JoeIsuzu wrote:
Tigman wrote:I also believe getting the oil as near 160 deg. and clean is equally important. I know a guy that recoups the mineral oil from large electrical transforms and burns it in his semi rigs and work trucks. They dispose of the transformers from large industrial applications etc. Ever of heard that?

Jack

Transformers filled after 1980 was non PCB mineral oil Jack. and works well for fuel
90 Dakota with C223

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Duck wrote:
JoeIsuzu wrote:

Jack

Transformers filled after 1980 was non PCB mineral oil Jack. and works well for fuel

Jack, That's the way we can keep pcb's out of the landfill. haha Phil