Second tank for wmo fuel

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
phil cottingham
Isuzu vehicle(s): 85 s10 with 2.2 diesel

Second tank for wmo fuel

Postby phil cottingham » Sun May 26, 2013 9:31 pm

I've just about got all parts together to add my second tank for burning waste oil in my truck. I plan on having separate fuel and return lines for both tanks, so I will not mix waste oil with my regular fuel. The tank I'm using for waste oil is an air compressor tank that has several openings for lines. The thing I'm not sure of is would it be ok to put the return into the bottom of the tank. This would make the plumbing neater but I don't know if the back pressure from the fuel in tank would be a problem. If anybody has any input I would appreciate it . I can put the return in the top but would rather go in the bottom if it's not going to cause a problem. Thanks in advance . Phil

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Re: Second tank for wmo fuel

Postby Tigman » Sun May 26, 2013 9:44 pm

Hi Phil, not sure what your planning but definitely vent your tank with a reasonable size vent, maybe 5/16 or 3/8. Then run your vent hose under your truck or out of tank area to avoid any potential mess, you'll not regret it. How well are you filtering your used oil and are you heating it to achieve correct viscosity? Is there any potential problems with acids or other materials in used oil that would be harmful to the IP later on? Good luck

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Sun May 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Hey Tigman, Thanks for the reply. I'm filtering the big stuff out through cloth and then through a 2 micron fuel filter. I'm adding 25% diesel right now but just getting started. Done a lot research but not burned much yet. I'm going to use as much trans fluid and hydraulic fluid as possible. From all I can find out heating waste motor oil or trans fluid is not an issue especially in warm weather. Thanks Phil

Tigman
Isuzu vehicle(s): Factory 1985 S10 2.2 Diesel, 1989 Isuzu 4x4 2.2 Turbo Diesel, 1999 Chevy Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel

Postby Tigman » Mon May 27, 2013 7:38 am

Not sure what you mean by "not an issue", my understanding with any fluid that the viscosity is thicker than dsl. can be a slow death for the IP. That would be my concern, just my 2 cents !

luvcamas

Postby luvcamas » Mon May 27, 2013 10:09 am

you should PM veggie nate or my brother Ipupgary and ask them about that tank. If I remember they use plastic tanks for WVO because of the acids in the oil and metal tanks are bad news. :(
1986 turbo/diesel 4x4 SB in progress of a full frame off restoration
1981 2wd diesel LB
1981 4wd diesel SB
1982 diesel 4x4 SB
:mrgreen:

Tigman

Postby Tigman » Mon May 27, 2013 12:35 pm

I am not to concerned about my tanks as they are plenty thick and will out last me. I have also looked inside and they appear like new. I got lots of advice from ddcunning on this forum as he had been doing wvo in his s10 for quite awhile. He had been into his tank a few years after using it and found it like new also. Our tanks have removable tops to access heating coil etc. My coment regarding Phils using waste oil/trans fluid was about the acids and chemical contaminants in them. I'm always open for other views, thanks.

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Mon May 27, 2013 12:56 pm

Tigman, By not an issue I meant that here in Alabama especially in the summer the oil would be thin enough after adding diesel and filtering . I'm wide open for suggestions. Several guys are doing it this way ,some for several years with no problems. John on the site from Arkansas has been very successful with this. Luvcamas, I had not considered corrosion a problem with waste oil. I was only using the metal air tank because I already had it and it fit well in the truck and looked pretty neat. I may need to use plastic. You guys don't hesitate to tell me if you thank my ideas are bad. I may not always take your advice but I will always consider them. Its good to bump ideas back and forth. Thanks Phil

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Mon May 27, 2013 12:59 pm

I also plan on having a filter right after the oil tank before the regular fuel filter. Phil

luvcamas

Postby luvcamas » Wed May 29, 2013 3:12 am

my understanding is that its not a corrosion issue with the tank but that the metal tank will promote some sort issue with the fuel. I think it has something to do with mold :mrgreen: or something like that. Or maybe it was it made the fuel acidic and harmful to the pump long term. Please ask the real experts.
1986 turbo/diesel 4x4 SB in progress of a full frame off restoration
1981 2wd diesel LB
1981 4wd diesel SB
1982 diesel 4x4 SB
:mrgreen:

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks for the info . I'm still hoping someone will respond about whether it will be ok to put return line into the bottom of the tank instead of the top. Thanks, Phil

arrowmntdiesel

Postby arrowmntdiesel » Wed May 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Phil,

In thinking about your question...., The return fuel is not pumped under pressure per say, but is pushed back by more unused fuel. If you have a full tank of fuel sitting on top of the return line, then at 8lbs/gal aprox., the pressure of the fuel is going to be pushing back against the return fuel. I can't imagine this being a good thing at all or one that would work.

Mark
AAS degree Diesel Technology 2014, 10 yrs Isuzu Pup diesels. Owner: Arrow-Mountain Diesel services & Arrow-Mnt Windows, Medford, OR. Love God! One Marriage-One Wife, 2 awesome young ladies as my kids. Happily Married for 25+ years. One Blessed Man!

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Wed May 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Mark, That is what I was thinking too. I guess I was looking for what would be easiest . I have a hole in the top I can put the return in with out any problem. The bottom would been less plumbing. Thanks, any ideas for a vent that won't leak. Phil

kravdraa

Postby kravdraa » Thu May 30, 2013 11:58 am

Phil,
Consider putting a vent hose in with a one way valve at the top. For example on the tranny there is a white plastic one way valve. Put that on th end of a hose and then route the hose to the place you like. You don't have to attach the vent DIRECTLY to the tank.
Regads,
Eric
81 Long bed PuP 2.2 Diesel
Using Bio-D

phil cottingham

Postby phil cottingham » Thu May 30, 2013 8:38 pm

Kravdraa, Thanks for the reply. Would a vent like the ones on rear axle housings work? I also was thinking of one like the ones on some hydraulic tanks like the one on my wood splitter. My fuel tank has 2 openings in the top besides the filler hole. 1 is 1/2 pipe and 1 is 3/8 . Thanks , Phil

kravdraa

Postby kravdraa » Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 am

Phil, Yes I was thinking of a rear axle vent type arrangement too
81 Long bed PuP 2.2 Diesel
Using Bio-D