Fuel lines for Biodiesel.

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
nucleus

Fuel lines for Biodiesel.

Postby nucleus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:45 pm

I posted this over in the diesel performance mods and upgrades but also wanted to let anyone using Biodiesel know, there is an alternative to expensive Viton fuel line. Tygothane tubing is Biodiesel safe and rated to 200F. It's a little over a dollar/foot, and it's clear so one can easily spot air leaks should they develop. Not to mention it looks cool too!
Attachments
IMG_0473.JPG
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

Bioguy

Re: Fuel lines for Biodiesel.

Postby Bioguy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 pm

I like the new fuel line.

Where are you purchasing it?
1993 Isuzu pickup w/1981 Luv Diesel engine, 5-speed conversion.

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:06 pm

McMaster Carr
1991 4X4 Pickup powered by a Gen 3 Trooper Turbo Diesel engine built by Jerry Lemond. 5 Speed Trooper MSG tranny behind the engine.

Gus Bus
Isuzu vehicle(s): '82 LUV diesel longbed

Postby Gus Bus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:27 pm

I work at a biodiesel refinery. Its brand new and I believe we are most technologically advanced producer in the world; meaning we are not using the standard batch method. We make b100 continuously 24/7. Over the weekend a filling line and green gun-nozzle (like you'd see at a gas station pump) was installed. Employees can now use our product free of charge (except maybe tax). So now I'm getting on the installing new fuel lines. I was gonna get these http://www.dudadiesel.com/viton.php. But today, my fellow maintenance worker said stainless steel tubing would be the best. I work with this stuff all day long so I can source it, bend it and connect the lines using swagelok fittings. Has anyone tried this?
'82 Chevy LUV Diesel Longbed

Dr. no

Postby Dr. no » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:38 am

Fuel lines run between several independently-vibrating components, especially in the engine compartment. SS would be nice for the long run from the tank, but you will still need flexible lines to attach the parts.

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:10 am

Gus Bus wrote:I work at a biodiesel refinery. Its brand new and I believe we are most technologically advanced producer in the world; meaning we are not using the standard batch method. We make b100 continuously 24/7. Over the weekend a filling line and green gun-nozzle (like you'd see at a gas station pump) was installed. Employees can now use our product free of charge (except maybe tax). So now I'm getting on the installing new fuel lines. I was gonna get these http://www.dudadiesel.com/viton.php. But today, my fellow maintenance worker said stainless steel tubing would be the best. I work with this stuff all day long so I can source it, bend it and connect the lines using swagelok fittings. Has anyone tried this?

Gus, thats awesome! I also work for a commercial biodiesel refinery.
I'm the Production/Plant manager for Piedmont Biofuels here in NC. You may have heard of us. We commissioned the first commercial enzymatic transesterification unit and had quite a lot of buzz surrounding that project. We are also hosting this years CBC conference in August. I know its a long way from you….but maybe you can make it out!
If you haven't heard of us, check us out www.biofuels.coop

Keep on making the good stuff man!! :D

jerryfreak

Postby jerryfreak » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:43 am

i have some tygon lines in the process... they tend to sweat.

which mc master part number are you using?

FlukeGE

Postby FlukeGE » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 pm

jerryfreak wrote:i have some tygon lines in the process... they tend to sweat.

which mc master part number are you using?

These are the parts numbers I bought.

5549K33 1 Each Clear Tygothane Polyurethane Tubing 1/4" Id, 3/8" Od, 1/16" Wall Thickness, 25 Ft. Length
5549K35 1 Each Clear Tygothane Polyurethane Tubing 5/16" Id, 7/16" Od, 1/16" Wall Thickness, 25 Ft. Length

Ryan
1986 Trooper Gen III
1999 with 4JG2 Coversion

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:11 pm

Same part #'s as what I have been using since I originally posted this.
No issues with sweating yet. They still feel the same as they did a year ago!

Gus Bus

Postby Gus Bus » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:43 pm

I'm about to order these lines. Why 25ft? Wouldn't 10ft suffice for both sizes?

Gus Bus

Postby Gus Bus » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I ordered the tubing listed above and installed them last week. I've been through one tank of b50 so far. Smells different but the performance of the truck was just as good maybe even more fuel efficient. I got another mile and a half more per gallon, but other factors were at play so I'll have to wait til the next tank.

When installing the new lines I ran into the problem of the smaller lines having too large of an inner diameter. The old lines were less than 1/4". So I ended up using another larger tube as a bushing so that my hose clamps would work, otherwise I was having leaking issues. I couldn't find any hose clamps smaller than 1/4". For those of you who have been using this tubing, how did you make it work and secure the lines without leakng? I might just order another size from mcmaster carr. One with a smaller id and a thicker wall thickness.

Dog

Postby Dog » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:26 pm

nucleus
I looked the #s up on McMaster-Carr and they are rated for 175* F where did you get 200F from? I and run biodiesel and SVO so I need a higher temperture rating.
"When an event is difficult to imagine, we tend to underestimate its likelihood"......Robert N. Stavins

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:48 am

Direct from the manufacturer. They state 200F. Not sure why McMaster Carr says 175. https://www.professionalplastics.com/pr ... -C210A.pdf

Normal operating temp for your engine should be around 190-200F. If you are using an added coolant loop through a secondary tank to preheat your SVO, then it won't be hotter than 190-200F. You'll be fine with this line. I've been running it for a year and a half now with zero issues.

Akfalco

Postby Akfalco » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:48 pm

Are the lines still clear/ see through?

nucleus

Postby nucleus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Akfalco wrote:Are the lines still clear/ see through?

Yes.