just use it!

Biodiesel, Veggie, CNG, Solar, Wind, Cow-chip, Nuclear and other alternative power...
rustykb

just use it!

Postby rustykb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:58 pm

for anybody interested this is my experience

i ran a kb 1956cc non turbo (pup) for around 12 years every day many 100,s of 1000,s of miles and ran it on just about any liquid that burned about the same as diesel. old engine oil,a/t fluid, new veg oil,new engine oil,used veg oil, red diesel, stale petrol,old paint thinners,gear oil, kerosene (with a little engine oil) and regular diesel
no special tank no extra heating and no probs at all just pour into tank! except you NEED to filter it.(old pair of womens tights or paint filter cones) and if you use kerosene/heating oil add some engine oil new or used to the mix maybe 5-10% as its a ,,dry,, fuel and will make an injector stick which will then sound the same as the bottom ends are hanging out. i usually had ,,some,, diesel in the tank but often ran 75% what ever i had around

find a filter system that uses a common tractor cartridge sandwhich style filter to avoid expensive filter changes
you can get these off old pugeots or euro fords it also comes with a handy priming pump and some even have a hot water connection which can help with thick wvo

that truck was s l o w but no slower loaded up.

Dobbin22

Re: just use it!

Postby Dobbin22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:11 am

Great post. Would you venture to say most older diesels will run on about anything?

Anymore on filters with a primer? (Peugot...).

""handy priming pump and some even have a hot water connection which can help with thick wvo""

Never seen one with a hot water connection.

Thanks.

JoeIsuzu
Site Admin
Isuzu vehicle(s): Original owner, '83 LS Diesel, 5-spd, 2wd, Long Bed, restoration in progress!

Postby JoeIsuzu » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:18 am

Be aware that this post is bound to have some folks who strongly disagree. Right or wrong, it's not possible to tell without some controlled testing whether this has long-term effects on the pump or the engine. There are probably some data on the internet--not necessarily P'up-related.

Jack

rustykb

Postby rustykb » Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 am

the post i put up is my honest experience. i needed the truck reliable i was just ,,cheap,, or short on cash . dont forget the first diesel engine i believe was made to run on peanut oil but greedy shell exon etc wont get rich selling that will they! its nothing new this ,,green fuel,,diesel was allways cheap then when the vehicles got more popular for regular people not just big comercials suddenly the price of diesel went up because people were spending less due to mpg (its more hassle to make petrol!) and yes i have run some petrol motors on kerosene mix but they need to be hot before you switch over i knew of a guy with a jag once that ran gas to get it hot then switched to kero. this is all great IF you can get alternative fuels cheaper than regular gas station fuel some countrys are harder than others.

as for long term effects isnt 12 years on an allready 140k engine when i got the thing long term enough?? i never had to touch the pump just change filters. and the odd heater plug
i used that truck allday everyday and went the length and breadth of the country often towing or loaded. it was a 4x4 version and i fitted toyota landcruiser alloys and tires and a home made body lift
which involved a simple extention on the steering knuckle. i also remember eventually changing the oil and giving it a good flush as i haddnt touched it and i actually felt some improvement in power!

if i had it now i would fit the trooper 2.8 and p.a.s

believe what you want ive had many different diesels in the last 20 years with different results il be happy to share
the problem with forums and the net is theres lots of scary rumours and armchair experts!

dont forget theres also those people that will save a perfectly good running engine then sell it to some ,,expert,, who instead of just re fitting it and using it will pull it all apart then after going over it with various guages and handbooks and charts checking all tollerances will believe they have been ripped off and sold ,,scrap,, some will then buy several more thinking the same each time before eventually having one ,,rebuilt,, when they could have just ran the thing probably another 50k!

rustykb

Postby rustykb » Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 am

Dobbin22 wrote:Great post. Would you venture to say most older diesels will run on about anything?

Anymore on filters with a primer? (Peugot...).

""handy priming pump and some even have a hot water connection which can help with thick wvo""

Never seen one with a hot water connection.

Thanks.

i would say most basic older diesels are very tollerant especially when you consider by the time we get them they have all done considerable miles
one re occuring issue is bosch pumps seem more tollerable than cav lucas pumps (peugots/fords can have either)

but the filter head you want is usually a cav lucas item it has a plunger like a syringe at the top that locks shut or on some it has a rubber thumb push this will save your battery in the middle of nowhere trying to get fuel upto the pump. the filters are also very cheap. they are made for 1.5 -2.5 engines but iv ran them on others and drilled the bore larger on a 3ltr turbo i had but i dont know it was really needed.

some pugeots even come with a rubber bulb type priming pump in the fuel line under the hood allthough you can source one similar from ,,harbour frieght,, in usa and leave it inline fitted pre pump
this will do the same job

i will get a picture up when i can and i may have some spare here
to give you an example my isuzu filter was cost around 28 at the time and the above filter was
.60 ive also fitted this system to a hard working 2.7td nissan without issue

some vehicles have this same filter system but have an extra piece on the bottom that attaches to your water system heater hoses this then pre heats the fuel

i hope this helps some of you